New MR Metcalf has 3 New Bag Sizes

WBouldin

Got the email from GOHUNT this morning on the pre-sale of the redesigned MR Metcalf. Has 3 different bag sizes (50/75/100), a new color, redesigned/lighter frame and the load shelf sits higher. Already pulled the trigger on the 75 in that new color.

Edit: the current version is 30% off as well

As an aside, I’ve been seeing some good deals on their older model metcalfs and other models for those maybe wanting to upgrade from what they have now.

I already got in trouble with the wife when I bought my second Metcalf to upgrade from the old frame to the Guide lite frame. Now I really want this one. Love that new color. And as someone who has an awkwardly long torso I love the idea of adjustable load lifters. How do I get one and not end up divorced?

Anyone get one yet?
We’ve used them all of last season. Very good ideas in the changes and upgrades.

I used a 75 most of the season. Marcus said he could probably use the 100 as his backcountry shelter. 🤣

I really like the 50. Used it on my Coues deer hunt. It showed me how much unnecessary junk I carry when I have space. That said, I suspect I’m committed to the 75 for all the gear we bring along.

We’ve used them all of last season. Very good ideas in the changes and upgrades.

I used a 75 most of the season. Marcus said he could probably use the 100 as his backcountry shelter. 🤣

I really like the 50. Used it on my Coues deer hunt. It showed me how much unnecessary junk I carry when I have space. That said, I suspect I’m committed to the 75 for all the gear we bring along.
Any comments on the pocket for the spotter? My current bag has a pocket for one but it sits on top. Kind of a pain to get it in and out when the bag is full. I have an 85mm scope.

Any comments on the pocket for the spotter? My current bag has a pocket for one but it sits on top. Kind of a pain to get it in and out when the bag is full. I have an 85mm scope.
I use the spotter case they have, strapped to the outside of my pack. Then I don’t have to dig in the pack access it. My sides always have a rifle on the right side and a tripod strapped to the left side.

My biggest gripe has been the lack of organization pockets. I end up overfilling the lid and I have a real heavy thing hanging off the back. I’ll see if it changes my mind when it comes but I think I’m headed towards a K4

My biggest gripe has been the lack of organization pockets. I end up overfilling the lid and I have a real heavy thing hanging off the back. I’ll see if it changes my mind when it comes but I think I’m headed towards a K4
Take a look at the Quick Attach Zoid bags for internal storage/organization. The clear sides makes it easy to see your gear. You can fit two in the 75 or 100 and I think one on the 50.

I already got in trouble with the wife when I bought my second Metcalf to upgrade from the old frame to the Guide lite frame. Now I really want this one. Love that new color. And as someone who has an awkwardly long torso I love the idea of adjustable load lifters. How do I get one and not end up divorced?
Man if she divorces you for a pack, maybe it wasn't meant to be :ROFLMAO: (Don't take my advice on this one)

Anybody want to give me a good deal on the newly out of date Metcalf, bag only? 😁

I got one of these in to look at. My old SG 5100 is still going but there are times I wouldn't mind a little more capacity and it's starting to show the paces it's been put through.

I'm sure the new MR is a great pack for some, but it's not gonna be for me. I like the access points/features, MR has good accessories, and the higher load shelf is a plus.

The padding on the hib belt is too soft and the material too slick IMO. With a ton of weight the padding compresses too much, and the material is pretty slick and tends to slide more than I'd like. This is just messing around inside, not even climbing around off trail. The hip belt also doesn't wrap around as far as I'd like without really cranking down on the belt. I wear 34" pants and am dead on for a M frame.

While I like a higher frame height, the adjustable aspect is unnessecary IMO; just leave it at 26" and make it permanent. The clip that adjusts the height is just a piece of a plastic with a wire clasp. Maybe it's not fair, but I don't trust it for the way I use stuff.

My two cents for what it's worth. Obviously not a true review, but for my body and my uses it does not pass the indoor test to invest in taking the next step.

I got one of these in to look at. My old SG 5100 is still going but there are times I wouldn't mind a little more capacity and it's starting to show the paces it's been put through.

I'm sure the new MR is a great pack for some, but it's not gonna be for me. I like the access points/features, MR has good accessories, and the higher load shelf is a plus.

The padding on the hib belt is too soft and the material too slick IMO. With a ton of weight the padding compresses too much, and the material is pretty slick and tends to slide more than I'd like. This is just messing around inside, not even climbing around off trail. The hip belt also doesn't wrap around as far as I'd like without really cranking down on the belt. I wear 34" pants and am dead on for a M frame.

While I like a higher frame height, the adjustable aspect is unnessecary IMO; just leave it at 26" and make it permanent. The clip that adjusts the height is just a piece of a plastic with a wire clasp. Maybe it's not fair, but I don't trust it for the way I use stuff.

My two cents for what it's worth. Obviously not a true review, but for my body and my uses it does not pass the indoor test to invest in taking the next step.

I too wasn’t impressed with the updates on this pack.

Seriously impressed that you have that level of “feel” for a pack just by trying it on inside not under load. Can’t imagine the miles you’ve put on to gain that skill set.

I too wasn’t impressed with the updates on this pack.

Seriously impressed that you have that level of “feel” for a pack just by trying it on inside not under load. Can’t imagine the miles you’ve put on to gain that skill set.
Oh I put it under load, I just never went out. I don’t know if it’s a skill set, I think it was pretty clear really, otherwise I’d have kept it and given it a longer go.

I have an original guide light frame Metcalf I bought in 2019 I believe and I'm annoyed that I can use my existing frame even with the back to the future conversion or the other one to just pick up a bag. I don't really want to drop the cash on a new pack all together because the Metcalf I have now is used for multiple days or a day pack. I would like the 50 if I would get any of them.

I was really interested in buying a mystery ranch pack at the Sheep show, but they weren’t there. Then when I got home the sale of the company to Yeti was announced. It made me think, Yeti had a huge booth there also😳. I ended up trying a Stone Glacier and new company AKEK. I went with AKEK with all it features, especially the gun/bow hands free carry/ quick release.

I was really interested in buying a mystery ranch pack at the Sheep show, but they weren’t there. Then when I got home the sale of the company to Yeti was announced. It made me think, Yeti had a huge booth there also😳. I ended up trying a Stone Glacier and new company AKEK. I went with AKEK with all it features, especially the gun/bow hands free carry/ quick release.
Offtopic- post up a review of the akek sometime. I don't have one/don't work for them/normal disclosures, but would like to hear some real world input.

They got beat up good on RS on their debut, BUT they took it square on the chin and kept improving. I give em kudos on that.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back