Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New Mexico

A-con

3/19

New Mexico is creeping up.
With the current odds on all my favorite units, we will just call it a donation.

After lots of hand wringing, phone calls, Internet searches, months of looking at topo/sat images, and several hours watching OYOA NM Elk hunts, I got my app in.
My favorite unit, early season.
A new Gila unit I've never been to, last season.
And a spot/stalk unit....
I snuck up on 4 bulls last year, 3 in their beds. Hopefully I learned something. The odds sure do stink, and not just in NM. Seems everybody want's to hunt Elk. I guess it's only fair that others get to do what some of us older farts have been doing for decades now.

Get your apps in if you haven't do so...

Even with low odds you always have a chance. The first time I ever applied in NM I drew the once and a lifetime bull tag in the Valle Vidal area. And that was a non resident DIY hunt. I don't remember the exact odds but I know it was really low. So you never know if you don't apply.

Threw my name in the hat too. Looking at archery, two opportunity units and a rough Gila unit. We shall see. I also re-watched the OYOA NM elk episodes, good motivation!

My home state.

I have given up on drawing a bull elk. Used all 3 choices for cow. I just wanted to hunt and this looks my best bet. Also, new knee put in this November past. Thought a cow hunt would be easier.

Still applying for OIL oryx. Been on several depradation, but want the OIL.

Good luck everyone. It doesn't matter how bad the odds are if you draw your tag.

I'm hoping I have as good of luck this year as the past two years.

Ibex_2013.jpg

Wow it sure got expensive now that the son is old enough to try and chase elk and Oryx..... Oh well, better him than me.

I battled with a couple of you guys (Nathan and Randy) over resident tag preference legislation back in the day on Monster Muleys. Imagine my irony now that I'm now a nonresident looking at draw odds as a Colorado resident! Long shots abound these days. But, it's lucky guys like Bryan who give me nonres faith!
-Cody

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back