New Mexico Unit 18 Pronghorn

nimrod_gn

I drew a NM Unit 18 pronghorn tag. New rules this year allow us to hunt all public land in the unit. Anybody hunted that unit in the past or otherwise know helpful hints of where to find animals in this unit and how best to hunt it?

Im assuming rifle tag right? I hunted 18 archery last season for 7 days. I had multiple stalks everyday on great bucks, but could never seal the deal. The last 2-3 days of my hunt, I started focusing on the more broken up country with taller ridges and junipers, and was able to get closer, got to 60 yards one time and he busted me as I drew my bow... I hunted mostly off hwy 55 between 8 and 15 miles from 54. Private land patches everywhere so know where you are. Watch for rattlesnakes. New Mexico has some weird rules on camping so do your research on that. I made the drive to Carrizozo everyday and stayed at a nice little campground about 4 miles west on 380. It was nice to be able to shower after being out all day in that archery season heat. Good luck, great tag to have, hope I can go back some day. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Yes, rifle tag. Too bad that archery didn't work out with a buck but it sounds like you had a good time. Looks like you may have hunted in some areas close to where the NM biologist I talked to the other day recommended. He said to hunt around Brushy Mountain and Chupadera Mesa

Nice lope bucks in 18. As cmeyer733 already said, watch for rattlers. A nice western diamondback scared the crap out of me a few years ago scouting for deer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back