Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Mexico Unit 13 Early Archery Elk

Thanks for following up with a recap! Seems like when searching there are always people looking for some help but rarely a follow up when the replys are low.... I've been eyeing 13 for a late muzzy hunt but like ya say not a lot of info out there!

Thanks for following up with a recap! Seems like when searching there are always people looking for some help but rarely a follow up when the replys are low.... I've been eyeing 13 for a late muzzy hunt but like ya say not a lot of info out there!
Not a problem. I hope my experience can start some dialog on this unit. It is a very challenging area to hunt, El Malpais, but was a lot of fun. For those willing to work it is a good option since the draw odds are slightly better than the real popular units in NM. And the Malpais definitely has some great bulls, albeit not as dense of populations.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm new to hunt talk and was searching for some information on NM unit 13. I just finished applying for several hunts in NM as a non-resident, this being one of them. I grew up in this unit in the south east corner down around Socorro but never hunted. Looking for a "homecoming" of sorts.
If I get lucky enough to draw, I have the advantage of only a 5 hour drive to do some weekend scouting trips but am still looking for as much insight as I can to make those trips more productive.
Given your experience would you apply for this hunt again or try for the less likely second archery tag?
Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks for leaving me a 370 bull for my late muzzy hunt in Nov. Haha 13 is a very neat unique unit to hunt.
Hi I'm new to Hunt Talk and am looking for some insight into NM, especially unit 13. I grew up in the south eastern part of this unit, down in Socorro. I'm hoping to do my first elk hunt in NM since I moved some 15 years ago. I applied for the early archery hunt this thread is about but am curious about the unit in general. 15 years is a long time to recall much detail, especially given I only ever hunted deer in this unit.
How did the late muzzy season turn out for you? I've probably been spoiled as I have never hunted "post rut" elk before, at least not bulls. I'm curious if this is more beneficial to finding lots of bulls, not necessarily bigger bulls, but more bulls in general, as from what I've seen here in CO is they usually band together mid to late Nov. Does this hold true for warmer dryer climates?
Any info you are willing to share is appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm new to hunt talk and was searching for some information on NM unit 13. I just finished applying for several hunts in NM as a non-resident, this being one of them. I grew up in this unit in the south east corner down around Socorro but never hunted. Looking for a "homecoming" of sorts.
If I get lucky enough to draw, I have the advantage of only a 5 hour drive to do some weekend scouting trips but am still looking for as much insight as I can to make those trips more productive.
Given your experience would you apply for this hunt again or try for the less likely second archery tag?
Any insight is appreciated!
Hi QELKhunter - welcome to Hunt talk! Unit 13 is a 'good' unit but there are a lot of good units in New Mexico. Success rates are higher in quite a few other units across the state however. Unit 13 is extremely hard to hunt because it is so thick and the densities are relatively low. If you have the time to scout, that would be ideal. The Southern end of the unit holds the highest number of elk. Good luck in the draw!

Hi QELKhunter - welcome to Hunt talk! Unit 13 is a 'good' unit but there are a lot of good units in New Mexico. Success rates are higher in quite a few other units across the state however. Unit 13 is extremely hard to hunt because it is so thick and the densities are relatively low. If you have the time to scout, that would be ideal. The Southern end of the unit holds the highest number of elk. Good luck in the draw!
Howdy ak2nv, I drew this tag this yr (early archery) and was wondering if you were willing to talk a few minutes on the phone. It looks like you learned a bit from your experience. Perhaps I can also help you if you drew any tags. Thanks 2817280084 Colby

Howdy ak2nv, I drew this tag this yr (early archery) and was wondering if you were willing to talk a few minutes on the phone. It looks like you learned a bit from your experience. Perhaps I can also help you if you drew any tags. Thanks 2817280084 Colby
Congrats on the tag. How did your unit 12 elk hunt go and the Barbary sheep hunt in 2019?

Congrats on the tag. How did your unit 12 elk hunt go and the Barbary sheep hunt in 2019?
Unit 12 was pretty good. Took my brother and I 3 days to get on them but then we mostly spot and stalked. Our closest call: When we got within 100yds and started calling to get him the last few yards, he blew out....but all his cows came to us, LOL.

I think it was still a bit early for them? and they seemed call shy. But I'm not very experienced so take that for what it is. Also, I didn't have many encounters to be fair.

Overall, fun hunt once we figured it out a bit.

Barbary was a much better experience and I was able to kill a 31.5" ram opening morning.

Attachments

• 20191012_112042.jpg
    20191012_112042.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
Unit 12 was pretty good. Took my brother and I 3 days to get on them but then we mostly spot and stalked. Our closest call: When we got within 100yds and started calling to get him the last few yards, he blew out....but all his cows came to us, LOL.

I think it was still a bit early for them? and they seemed call shy. But I'm not very experienced so take that for what it is. Also, I didn't have many encounters to be fair.

Overall, fun hunt once we figured it out a bit.

Barbary was a much better experience and I was able to kill a 31.5" ram opening morning.
That’s a beautiful Ram.

I drew this tag this year too!

Hi everyone - I'm one seriously lucky non-resident this year. I drew two tags in New Mexico after 5 years of nothing; unit 13 early archery elk (and) unit 21, 24 archery antelope. Very excited to say the least! I submitted a separate post for the antelope so this one is for the elk. I've heard the whole unit has elk but really trying to narrow my focus. I'm not interested in hunting where everyone else is going to be hunting since I've heard it can be somewhat of a zoo in certain areas of the unit. I'm also willing to hike and avoid the road hunters. Curious if anyone knows how the rut is shaping up in this unit during those first two weeks of September and if there is plenty of water (or) if I'll be competing with other hunters sitting water holes? Any information on the unit, particularly this season, would be much appreciated. I've never been in the area and I won't have any time to scout before the season opens. I'll only have a week so considering the second week of the season and since I'm coming from Reno, would love to narrow it down a little. Thanks in advance! I know I speak for everyone in my situation that doesn't have a ton of time to give to hunts but lives for it that the guys on this forum are a godsend!!!
Thanks

Hi everyone - I'm one seriously lucky non-resident this year. I drew two tags in New Mexico after 5 years of nothing; unit 13 early archery elk (and) unit 21, 24 archery antelope. Very excited to say the least! I submitted a separate post for the antelope so this one is for the elk. I've heard the whole unit has elk but really trying to narrow my focus. I'm not interested in hunting where everyone else is going to be hunting since I've heard it can be somewhat of a zoo in certain areas of the unit. I'm also willing to hike and avoid the road hunters. Curious if anyone knows how the rut is shaping up in this unit during those first two weeks of September and if there is plenty of water (or) if I'll be competing with other hunters sitting water holes? Any information on the unit, particularly this seson, would be much appreciated. I've never been in the area and I won't have any time to scout before the season opens. I'll only have a week so considering the second week of the season and since I'm coming from Reno, would love to narrow it down a little. Thanks in advance! I know I speak for everyone in my situation that doesn't have a ton of time to give to hunts but lives for it that the guys on this forum are a godsend!!!
Good Afternoon AK2NV....After 4 years of applying, I was fortunate to draw a NM Unit 13, first season, archery elk tag. I saw your post and was hoping that you could provide some guidance on where to begin. Any help is appreciated.

Richard

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back