New Mexico - Terk Overturned

I started applying for sheep tags in multiple states a few years back and now apply for tags in 7 states. With MT increasing the nonrefundable cost to apply but allowing applicants to not front the money for a tag that already has terrible odds and now NM changes there system it looks like I might have two less states to look forward to the drawings in.

You shouldn't be scared. It's the DIY NRs that get taken to the woodshed in NM.

Isn't it actually the injunction that opened Pandora's box and gave the NR's more rights than the actual residents?

The way that that NMGF handled this could be debated, but the fact that the Residents were getting screwed can't.

Isn't it actually the injunction that opened Pandora's box and gave the NR's more rights than the actual residents?

The way that that NMGF handled this could be debated, but the fact that the Residents were getting screwed can't.

When were NR getting more rights than residents?

As of this upcoming Sunday I will be living in Santa Fe. And thanks for the welcome!

No not Santa Fe! Anywhere but there!

Just kidding of course, though it is probably the least hunter-friendly place in the state but who cares. Give me a holler if you are ever down in Socorro or draw a unit 17 tag as that is where I am focusing on and slowly learning about. Trying to get my young boys into hunting so I figured I better get started before my 30s pass me by.

Not how I see it. IMO, lifting of the injunction isn't really a problem. I do feel that residents should have access to more tags than NRs. The problem is that with the law they passed a few years ago, it effectively does away with DIY NR tags. IMO, that law was passed less for equal drawing chances, as this injunction was still in place, but out of frustration for the unit wide landowner tag situation. They had to add the outfitter set aside to get it passed, even further taking NRs to the shed.

I hope this sparks a spate of reciprocity laws! That'd be about the only way that R will start giving NRs some consideration, even though in many, especially western states, the G&F is largely funded by NRs....

As oft mentioned, hunt fee statutes are constituent driven. Let's see how the R's like having to pony up to maintain economic equilibrium. There will be a day when all but the Kings' hunters will stop traveling.

Has anyone received any info about "if" there will be any tags available for sheep in New Mexico for DIY or guided NR'S? If it goes by hunt-code, then there won't be, but if it goes by "sheep", there will be a couple. I haven't been able to get a straight answer.

What are you talking about???:confused:

I've heard about a half dozen different things, but the way I see it there will be 1 Latir ewe tag available to the guided pool and 1 Latir ewe tag available to the nonresident nonguided pool. That's all I can see that they can do legally.

With that said, it's my understanding that they haven't always been following the letter of the law with some of the rounding and allocations between the guided pool and nonresident nonguided pool on some of the other quota tags. Who knows, it is New Mexico we are talking about.

Has anyone received any info about "if" there will be any tags available for sheep in New Mexico for DIY or guided NR'S? If it goes by hunt-code, then there won't be, but if it goes by "sheep", there will be a couple. I haven't been able to get a straight answer.

I called and spoke with a supervisor late last week. He said that based on the quota there would be NO ram tags for NRs this year. According to him, the commission doesn't have the ability to change the quota to allow a NR to receive a ram tag. The law would need to be changed for this to happen.

I called and spoke with a supervisor late last week. He said that based on the quota there would be NO ram tags for NRs this year. According to him, the commission doesn't have the ability to change the quota to allow a NR to receive a ram tag. The law would need to be changed for this to happen.

That's the problem, others have called and spoken with supervisors, I know one person even said they talked with the person who's name is on the press release and they are all giving conflicting information over the phone. Several people have been told that there are still going to be Ram tags available to nonresidents this year. I don't see how, but that's what people have said they have been told. So far there is nothing in print one way of the other.

Maybe "more" rights wasn't the correct word, but given equal rights?

I'm asking questions trying to get a better understanding. Maybe I should start using multiple question marks and smilies?

And I asked you to get a better understanding of your statement because it does not makes sense to me. That is also why someone else asked you a similar question about your comments. To me it seems that the NR DIY hunter got screwed, not the residents, as you said. That is why the NR DIY hunters are complaining. But I'm probably just missing something that is obvious.

How do you figure the NR's have more rights than actual residents in NM?

How did this screw the residents of NM?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back