Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New Mexico Privatization. Nuthin like it

There isn't an elk on the planet that I would pay that kind if money to hunt. Whether I could or could not afford it. mtmuley
Serious question: Lets say you do have the ability to afford it without sacrificing anything else. What would you spend your "play money" on instead?

I only ask because our personal answer is always an adventure outdoors typically involving hunting. Both working full time and not having kids with no ability to, we are fortunate enough to be in that position and "investing" is boring. I'd rather live and explore now while my health is good.

Serious question: Lets say you do have the ability to afford it without sacrificing anything else. What would you spend your "play money" on instead?

I only ask because our personal answer is always an adventure outdoors typically involving hunting. Both working full time and not having kids with no ability to, we are fortunate enough to be in that position and "investing" is boring. I'd rather live and explore now while my health is good.
A fast car. mtmuley

Clearly you people need to try golf again. There’s a reason they put those daiquiri girls out there with the refrigerated golf carts. Golf is a great drinking game, just like shuffleboard and bowling.
I've only done it a handful of times. The driving range was my favorite part of the day. Fun to see how far I could smack that ball. mtmuley

I’d buy a big chunk of property in an area with over the counter tags and have some great hunting for myself and friends. All at no loss of opportunity or chances for someone else

See and I would suspect that lifestyle of his coupled with that wealth isn’t exactly a coincidence or just an ironic lifestyle by design.
No irony at all just a hardworking simple man. But I do wonder if he ever regretted not living a little more. I can promise you if he'd have known how most of his family would piss it away after he was gone he'd have burned it before leaving them anything.

It is simple, and does not solve everything, but perhaps it is a start:

All nonresidents of NM must obtain a big game license through the public draw in order to hunt public land.

NR outfitter quota? Private land only.

It is simple, and does not solve everything, but perhaps it is a start:

All nonresidents of NM must obtain a big game license through the public draw in order to hunt public land.

NR outfitter quota? Private land only.
Effectively that just about eliminates the need for a 10% outfitter set aside at that point. The 10% set aside was created to make it easier for outfitted clients to get tags on lands that are public.

Point is, that's a great idea but just remove the 10% outfitter set aside and toss them into the R portion of the draw.

Not the outfitter allocation, their 10% cut is extremely way to high and there is no checks on the process meaning its not very hard to get a guide agreement to get in that draw without actually going guided

I don’t totally disagree, but if you start pulling threads to fix the negatives you can often times have unintended consequences.

its not very hard to get a guide agreement to get in that draw without actually going guided

Zero problems with this part, as long as the price reflects the service. Securing the tag is the #1 biggest challenge for a lot of hunts- if an outfitter helps out with that, they’ve done their job as far as I would be concerned (personally no interest in getting “guided” and would rather DIY on public land anyway).

Zero problems with this part, as long as the price reflects the service. Securing the tag is the #1 biggest challenge for a lot of hunts- if an outfitter helps out with that, they’ve done their job as far as I would be concerned (personally no interest in getting “guided” and would rather DIY on public land anyway).
Guess I've never thought about it that way because the intended result of that law was likely to allow outfitters to keep their business going with full paying clients.

Probably right, who knows?

At this point in time, like a lot of guys in HT, the only piece of gear I would need for most hunts is that little piece of (expensive) paper.

If an outfitter can help with that, they’ve done their job “outfitting” very well imo, at least for those interested in DIY.

I don’t totally disagree, but if you start pulling threads to fix the negatives you can often times have unintended consequences.
Unintended consequences to you is probabaly anything that goes back to residents though.

I will give you this you are not shy about the fact if it benefits you it is OK

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HappyClar
Back