New Mexico Elk Hunt Unit 16E

Big Fin made 16e famous from his videos. And he also hurt alot of peoples feet cause that unit is no joke on the boots and feet. The hardest of the 16's in my opinion. To bad a new land leaser blocked off the easement most of the year.

My first trip down to the Gila in 3 weeks, got the coveted 16-A early rifle tag. Excited. Good to hear that they're screaming already, so hopefully it lasts a few weeks. Anyone with 16-A experience that can give me some pointers?

My first trip down to the Gila in 3 weeks, got the coveted 16-A early rifle tag. Excited. Good to hear that they're screaming already, so hopefully it lasts a few weeks. Anyone with 16-A experience that can give me some pointers?

T
There's tons of elk in 16a u should have no problem getting into them. I got one during the first archery and going back for first rifle for fiances tag. They will be bugling but the bigger bulls will be gone by then usually. This year is a wierd year so hopefully we can get into some.good ones

Even the locals don't get to hunt the Gila often enough to know the area very well. It has been hot and dry so water is definitely an issue. The smaller tanks are all dried up. About 2 out of every 3 large tanks that I have visited that usually hold water are dry. The flies have been relentless at the lower elevations so the elk are staying somewhat high and near wallows. In three weeks they may come down a bit however they won't be all that far from water. Unless there are some freak snowstorms, I don't expect them to move very much from where they are now. I have seen a few huge racks come out of there in the past week. None were broken off and were looking really healthy. Believe it or not, some of the satellite bulls have better racks than the herd bulls. The bull to cow ratio in 16A and 16D is very high.

Hey all, my son drew a cow tag in 16E for Dec. I'll be scouting area next week. Any of you have advice on what the cows will be doing that time of year? Lots of antelope looking country! Thank you. Hes excited as am I!!

Hey all, my son drew a cow tag in 16E for Dec. I'll be scouting area next week. Any of you have advice on what the cows will be doing that time of year? Lots of antelope looking country! Thank you. Hes excited as am I!!
I'd scout the Luera Mountains area, lots of state land out that way.

Big Fin made 16e famous from his videos. And he also hurt alot of peoples feet cause that unit is no joke on the boots and feet. The hardest of the 16's in my opinion. To bad a new land leaser blocked off the easement most of the year.
What videos ?

Two more weeks and leaving for an New Mexico unit 16E muzzleloader elk hunt. Anyone out there been in the area recently and have any good sightings . Plan on carrying everything on my back and hiking in. Last reports were good moisture this year and lots of grass. Anyone out there have any advice or pointers I sure would be appreciative. Driving out from east coast for the five day hunt and then heading back east to Ohio for a five day archery whitetail hunt. Lot of mile but it is what we do. Thanks in advance for any info.
How’d your hunt go buddy?

This is a weird coincidence...

Despite me thinking that I drew Unit 23 for 2 days because I was looking at last year's hunt codes, this is where I'm actually headed for second archery. I about had a heart attack when I finally opened the email from Game and Fish to print my license on Friday night.
Lucky you lol

Despite me thinking that I drew Unit 23 for 2 days because I was looking at last year's hunt codes, this is where I'm actually headed for second archery. I about had a heart attack when I finally opened the email from Game and Fish to print my license on Friday night.
well that's a nice surprise😂😂

This is insane! Though their code system is confusing.

2-299, 2nd archery.

Yes, I do bow hunt! I had intended to apply for a second archery hunt, unit is where the confusion set in. Ultimately they had similar draw odds at >4%, 3-5 unguided non-res tags available.

I got very lucky, and am looking forward to it. My wife and 1 year old will be flying out and staying in a nearby motel for moral support. I've got a buddy driving out with me to help drive out (31 hours), call, and hopefully carry meat. I plan on getting there 2 days prior to the hunt
Better make a plan b-z...night & day difference from 23.
Rethink bringing a wife & baby to stay 4 hrs from the airport and 2 from where you put boots on the ground.
Help getting an elk out is very important.
It can be sunny & hotter than heck...then you will drown in a afternoon monsoon with lightning strikes all around.
Bring lots of gas & water.

Rethink this one from the ground up.

I got very lucky, and am looking forward to it. My wife and 1 year old will be flying out and staying in a nearby motel for moral support. I've got a buddy driving out with me to help drive out (31 hours), call, and hopefully carry meat. I plan on getting there 2 days prior to the hunt staying the whole season.
Have you ever been in that unit and do you plan on staying at the motel as well? You're gonna want a base camp in the hills or you will spend more time driving then elk hunting. Also unless you find the couple shining gems (that probably aren't near you) in the state most NM motels are not places I would leave my family and then feel warm and fuzzy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back