New Mexico coues

Jsc

I was lucky and drew a New Mexico nonresident unit 27 coues deer tag. First time hunting in New Mexico and first time coues hunting. If anyone has any tips or experience on this area they would be willing to share it would be appreciated. I'm excited for the opportunity.

Welcome to HT and congrats on an awesome tag for a very unique hunting experience. It’s beautiful country. Good luck.

A couple great resources on Coues are the Jay Scott Podcast- any episode with Duwane Adams is a must listen. He has many episodes on Coues hunting and how to glass for them specifically. If you don't already have a good set of binoculars and a tripod to glass off of, I would recommend that as an essential piece of gear. They are tough critters to spot. Duwane Adams is one of the best resources on glassing and comes behavior and has a book that would be a good resource too. How to Hunt Coues Deer- Duwane Adams and Tony Mandile. I am not familiar with 27 specifically but have hunted them in the southern AZ units quite a bit.

A couple great resources on Coues are the Jay Scott Podcast- any episode with Duwane Adams is a must listen. He has many episodes on Coues hunting and how to glass for them specifically. If you don't already have a good set of binoculars and a tripod to glass off of, I would recommend that as an essential piece of gear. They are tough critters to spot. Duwane Adams is one of the best resources on glassing and comes behavior and has a book that would be a good resource too. How to Hunt Coues Deer- Duwane Adams and Tony Mandile. I am not familiar with 27 specifically but have hunted them in the southern AZ units quite a bit.

I will have to look up that podcast. thanks

Do You have a Clue on Coues , or You completely new to them and just winging it? Duwane is the Godfather of Hunting Coues. read His book if totally new to it. Tell us how much You do or dont 'know a we can then Help You.

Do You have a Clue on Coues , or You completely new to them and just winging it? Duwane is the Godfather of Hunting Coues. read His book if totally new to it. Tell us how much You do or dont 'know a we can then Help You.
Not a clue. I grew up in Utah archery hunting mule deer, but as for Coues deer this is a first. My tag is the early rifle tag November 21-25. I am sure it is going to be an adventure and quite a learning experience. I will have to get his book.

Get the best glass you can afford and a tripod , don't even try it with out you will be wasting your time. Get his Book. and give me a call , I will give You My # and help you , but if you don't have the above mentioned it will do you no good. You don't have a rut hunt ,so You are gonna have to Glass your but off. I never hunted that unit but that doesn't matter. You need to learn how to hunt these guys first. It is both Frustrating and very fun. . Find out if there is public land to hunt also..............BOB!

Get the best glass you can afford and a tripod , don't even try it with out you will be wasting your time. Get his Book. and give me a call , I will give You My # and help you , but if you don't have the above mentioned it will do you no good. You don't have a rut hunt ,so You are gonna have to Glass your but off. I never hunted that unit but that doesn't matter. You need to learn how to hunt these guys first. It is both Frustrating and very fun. . Find out if there is public land to hunt also..............BOB!

You are likely glassing for an ear or a tip of antler. Coues are not that tall and when they bed are about like a large dog in profile. Unlikely will see a buck walking around unless you sit water or a cougar bumps one. Very challenging to glass. If you can find a mound or ridge you will see a lot further than if are down on the deck of the desert. Their coats are grey which is the color of the entire desert once daylight builds in the morning. Everything in the desert will jab, cut, sting or bite you while the sun bakes you until your skin resembles a lobster about to be served for dinner. Shots can be a long ways compared to most deer hunts. If you fill your tag then you have earned that.

I have some decent optics and I ordered the book this morning. The book should be here next week. From what I can see there is public land but access might be tricky and require a backpacking style hunt.

Ive never hunted that area. Its really a tough deer to hunt, and experience is everything. Its a tough one for a 1st time hunter and even harder if you dont know the area. I would highly recommend you come do some prescouting if you want to increase your odds of success. Not saying luck doesn't exist, just seems like for coues there isnt much luck to be had. However plan on lots of hours behind your optics. Good luck with your hunt.

I suggest to first time Coues Hunters to put in for an easy draw unit in Az. and get your feet wet. Even living here it took me 3-4 years to figure it out . And I am a serious Hunter. If You don't Have a Tripod ,GET ONE or don't come. And Bushnells on the tripod wont cut it.Guys from back East can't believe how they get outsmarted By a 30 " tall Buck!Come on out and Learn..............................BOB!

I suggest to first time Coues Hunters to put in for an easy draw unit in Az. and get your feet wet. Even living here it took me 3-4 years to figure it out . And I am a serious Hunter. If You don't Have a Tripod ,GET ONE or don't come. And Bushnells on the tripod wont cut it.Guys from back East can't believe how they get outsmarted By a 30 " tall Buck!Come on out and Learn..............................BOB!
I have a bigger tripod for a vortex scope I believe it is a manfrotto. It is kind of heavy. I also have a smaller summit tripod and some swaro 10x42's. I figure the bino's may be a bit small for all day glassing

10x42 Swaro's will be fine as long as you have them on a tripod. If you know someone that will lend you some bigger bino's that would be nice but if not I wouldn't go out and buy bigger bino's. I'm not familiar with that unit but when I have hunted in Arizona I could get by with 10x42. That being said, I got addicted to coues hunting and plan on doing more hunts in the future so I ended up buying some 15x Meoptas.

I was lucky and drew a New Mexico nonresident unit 27 coues deer tag. First time hunting in New Mexico and first time coues hunting. If anyone has any tips or experience on this area they would be willing to share it would be appreciated. I'm excited for the opportunity.

Those who know how much I love hunting these fellows ask me to respond/ However you have received some excellent advise already. You will become addicted to hunting them. Great hunt. The last time I hunted them was with a 257 Weatherby. What rifle will you be using ? The only thing I can add that has not already been mentioned.

The only thing better than hunting them, is eating them --excellent table fare !

Have a wonderful hunt

You will love hunting these guys, and you will have to "hunt" them.

Good glass is VERY important. A few years ago when I wanted better glass than I owned, April, steered me to a company called, Optics for Rent, as I did not have the money needed for the glass she was recommending. I do not know if they are still in business so not but it is something I wanted to share with you.

Good Glass, find a place and stay there. This is not about walking around, it is about glassing., glassing and glassing some more. I dont see where you mentioned a rifle, but a 6mm Rem, 6.5 x 55 , is more than enough. And yes, as has been mentioned, you will enjoy the meal. Have fun, good luck

Those who know how much I love hunting these fellows ask me to respond/ However you have received some excellent advise already. You will become addicted to hunting them. Great hunt. The last time I hunted them was with a 257 Weatherby. What rifle will you be using ? The only thing I can add that has not already been mentioned.

The only thing better than hunting them, is eating them --excellent table fare !

Have a wonderful hunt
I currently have a 7mm I use for elk and a 257 roberts that my son uses for deer. Not sure if this distances to expect, but imagine the 7mm mag is probably a bit over kill.

The Manfrottos are heavy but worth it on windy days. I been packing one about 25 years Now. Your Swaro 10's will be fine. I allways had 15's but Guys do it with 10's. If $ is no issue I would get em. Good luck. Coues are addicting. I have hunted N. Mexico several times in 23 but never 27................BOB!

You will love hunting these guys, and you will have to "hunt" them.

Good glass is VERY important. A few years ago when I wanted better glass than I owned, April, steered me to a company called, Optics for Rent, as I did not have the money needed for the glass she was recommending. I do not know if they are still in business so not but it is something I wanted to share with you.

Good Glass, find a place and stay there. This is not about walking around, it is about glassing., glassing and glassing some more. I dont see where you mentioned a rifle, but a 6mm Rem, 6.5 x 55 , is more than enough. And yes, as has been mentioned, you will enjoy the meal. Have fun, good luck
^^^This covers everything I was going to say. I hunt coues every year, challenging and fun at the same time. Good luck!

Sounds like most of the guys above gave you some pretty good advice. I am a self proclaimed coues-nut having taken probably around 15 of them. they are a blast to hunt. I've never hunted 27 NM but know it can get tricky. Look for areas to backpack in. Also, there is a LOT of illegal activity in the area so stay vigilant. A good friend of mine hunted it several years ago and got a nice buck but said he wouldn't go back.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back