Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New- KY moving to TX

duckhunter175

Hello all!!

Frequent podcast listener on my way to/from work. Avid whitetail, turkey, duck hunter and I try to get out west once a year for a DIY hunt. Last year was AZ Coues and this year is CO Elk.

Dabble in reloading and small gunsmithing projects.

Looking forward to gaining more knowledge on the forum and sharing info with fellow DIY and public land fanatics!!

Oh-- currently live in KY, moving to DFW area in DEC/JAN.

Thanks!

Welcome. What drags you to the metromess? I grew up east of there between Dallas and Shreveport

Thanks guys!! Wife just got a new job downtown, same firm, much bigger city!

Already looking at spots around there to hunt, fish and shoot. Seems like lots of lakes and lots of range.... not so much public land. TX is like 97% private apparently! Any pointers on that side?

Texas changed the public application process a few years ago to allow you to apply for every wildlife management area instead of making you pick just one for each hunt type. My best advice on that side is apply in other states. The odds are better to draw a bighorn tag in Wyoming than a decent deer tag in Texas.

Sheff

..at least you're closer to Colorado now. Damn pretty state you moved from. Best of luck on the transition and welcome to the forum.

sheff and harley--- That is kinda my thinking! Get across the Mississippi and be one day drive for striking distance into the Rockies.

I'm already building points in AZ, CO, UT, WY and ME. Gonna get things figured out to apply in MT, NV, NM as well!

Back