New hunting pack! Killik 2800

270.Rose

I made my first big hunting-gear purchase for myself after two years of hunting with hand me down and gifted gear (which I have really appreciated!) and got the Killik 2800 pack from Sportsman's Warehouse. Who can resist a good sale right?! It's very adjustable and was comfortable to pack a significant weight around the store to test it out. After watching review videos online it seems like I'm only going to be limited by what I can physically carry, there is certainly room and to spare and an individual pocket for everything I could possibly want to carry, plus meat. I like that the hip belt fit comfortably and kept the weight of the pack from pressing into my tailbone, which I noticed was an issue with some of the non-ladies-specific packs that I tried. And it is set up to carry a rifle or a bow, so hopefully that will get some use if I get to bow hunt this fall.
Five weeks til antelope hunting!! I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Good for you and good luck on your hunt.
We went with KUIU ultra lite packs and packed out a couple elk last year. It was a game changer over the other packs we had. It cinched down great and nothing moved. Second elk we found a great game trail and a little longer walk but didn't have to go up and over the mountain we came in on.

Good for you and good luck on your hunt.
We went with KUIU ultra lite packs and packed out a couple elk last year. It was a game changer over the other packs we had. It cinched down great and nothing moved. Second elk we found a great game trail and a little longer walk but didn't have to go up and over the mountain we came in on.
That sounds like a pretty intense pack out if you are going over a mountain!

Walked it twice last season. It starts steep them does some little flats then steep then you are on top walking the ridge line. It's all open country and very short sagebrush. We do a late season cow hunt. Don't have to battle flies and wasps just wind and cold(sometimes). Just have to learn to shoot 400-500 yards at times. That is why finding the trail was a nice change. I hate steep with a heavy pack. Every step is "don't slip, don't fall" Because I won't stop until I hit the bottom. :ROFLMAO:

Went and walked our elk hill. Other half took my KUIU daypack gave me his KUIU Pro and ordered a new KUIU pack. We went rock hunting and picked up some nice rock and the packs weighed about what our elk pack outs were last year. Night and day difference just over my daypack to his pack. Other than sore feet and a hip that wanted to spasm it was a nice morning. Looking for a great pack don't hesitate to look at the KUIU packs. They weigh next to nothing compared to some others I've looked at.

Went and walked our elk hill. Other half took my KUIU daypack gave me his KUIU Pro and ordered a new KUIU pack. We went rock hunting and picked up some nice rock and the packs weighed about what our elk pack outs were last year. Night and day difference just over my daypack to his pack. Other than sore feet and a hip that wanted to spasm it was a nice morning. Looking for a great pack don't hesitate to look at the KUIU packs. They weigh next to nothing compared to some others I've looked at.
A good pack makes a huge difference! I've been letting my kids ride on mine as preparation :) thankfully they think it's a fun game.

Still alive and moving slowly this morning. Need to do something this morning other than house work and gardening to get the stiffness gone.🤪

Still alive and moving slowly this morning. Need to do something this morning other than house work and gardening to get the stiffness gone.🤪
I'm doing lunges this morning to get the circulation going. Three weeks til antelope!

Went grouse hunting this morning did a little walking around. 2 replaced knees and a right hip I don't do lunges anymore or kneeling either. Good luck keep it up.

Thought I'd come back and update with a review of how the pack performed in the field....
I really like how comfortable this pack is to wear even with the weight of the meat inside. All the zippers work smoothly and there are more than plenty of pockets for storing things (caused a slight panic when I couldn't remember which one held my tag!). The contents of the pack stayed dry even in a whole day of steady rain and mud. It opens up to carry a whole critter or can fit multiple quarters if using the gutless method. And it was comfortable to wear over a bulky coat as well as with just a shirt, being very adjustable in all directions. The only major negative for me was that the rigid frame extends up to the back of my head, making it impossible to belly crawl wearing the pack and lift my head to peek over a ridge. I had to sit all the way up to see, or remove the pack if I wanted to stay really low. This would probably not be an issue for someone who is proportioned differently.
Also, my chocolate stash stayed both unmelted and unsquashed. Very important! :)

I have the same problem with my MR Sawtooth, regarding the frame sticking above my head and restricting things like you mentioned. Sounds like that’s just the one of the downsides of being vertically challenged!

Hey all: Appreciate this discussion on packs that fit a woman's frame. I have had many different backpacking packs over the years, and find that some brands fit me better than others. My Gregory pack fits me well, and I chafe at the high price of a hunting-specific pack. However, I see the benefits of a hunting pack with a section just for meat. I'm wondering whether you think a pack that is made for backpacking in the mountains will work just fine for hauling out a quarter elk vs. one that is specifically designed for hunting? For reference, I'm 5'4", 120 lbs. My pack generally weighs about 30 pounds for a 5-7 day trip. Thanks for your thoughts on the pros and cons of this question.

As far as the weight is concerned, it will depend on what you physically can carry. I think packs in general nowadays are built stout enough to take a good deal of weight, so you should be good to go on that front. My only question would be, how will you be securing the meat? The advantage with a hunting-specific pack is that there are straps and buckles to fasten it to the outside, and in the case of my new pack it unzips to open entirely flat, so a critter or a large quarter can be laid in the middle and the pack folds up around the outside, buckling to hold the load secure. An elk quarter will be somewhere in the vicinity of equal to four deer quarters packed into one game bag (or even more, depending on what you are going to bone out or not), so if your backpack can fit that bulk of meat into it or on it somehow and hold the load secure so that it isn't jostling around on your back, I'd say go for it. But I'd be for sure experimenting on how to fit a bulky load into it before I got an elk on the ground and gotta try and fit it on somehow. If a zipper doesn't run far enough back or an opening just isn't wide enough, you will have a challenge.

Hey all: Appreciate this discussion on packs that fit a woman's frame. I have had many different backpacking packs over the years, and find that some brands fit me better than others. My Gregory pack fits me well, and I chafe at the high price of a hunting-specific pack. However, I see the benefits of a hunting pack with a section just for meat. I'm wondering whether you think a pack that is made for backpacking in the mountains will work just fine for hauling out a quarter elk vs. one that is specifically designed for hunting? For reference, I'm 5'4", 120 lbs. My pack generally weighs about 30 pounds for a 5-7 day trip. Thanks for your thoughts on the pros and cons of this question.

Because no one made hunting packs that fit me when I was starting out, I still use my 20 year old Kelty internal frame to pack out meat. I can pretty easily fit 1/2 if an adult mule deer buck or two average elk front quarters (all bone in). Big bull hind quarters will not physically fit in the bag bone-in, so need to be boned out or secured some other way.

It’s worked for me so far. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Plus every time I pick up one of these hunting packs and feel how heavy it is empty, I’m like “nope”.

Hey Rose and HW: Thank you for your thoughts! My internal frame Gregory has plenty of ways to secure the load, as that is also important for all the stuff one carries when backpacking. As to whether a quarter elk will fit, (and obviously I haven't shot an elk yet) I had planned on boning out what doesn't, but thanks for reminding me to consider that. I have a cow/calf tag, so hopefully it won't be too big. I will def try to find something comparable in size to see if it will fit in my pack.

This is an exciting challenge, and a new one for me. (I'm 67.) Oddly, my man won't hunt with me, and I don't know any women who will or could go with me. Other hunters I meet in the mountains think it's pretty strange for a woman to be hunting alone. But since I've been hiking alone for 40 years, it's normal.

HW, I'm glad to hear that you rely on what has worked for you over the years, and that you're not overly impressed with these newer pack models. Yes! They do weigh a lot, with a lot of the weight coming from my wallet! Plus, I value tradition same as you.

I think it's weird that in local shops and online there are so few choices for women in terms of hunting packs, clothing, etc. If I had the time and money, I'd be creating a whole, new line of affordable, quality hunting gear for women. If wishes were horses...

Because no one made hunting packs that fit me when I was starting out, I still use my 20 year old Kelty internal frame to pack out meat. I can pretty easily fit 1/2 if an adult mule deer buck or two average elk front quarters (all bone in). Big bull hind quarters will not physically fit in the bag bone-in, so need to be boned out or secured some other way.

It’s worked for me so far. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Plus every time I pick up one of these hunting packs and feel how heavy it is empty, I’m like “nope”.
My husband's pack is really heavy even empty! You'd think they would prioritize that in building them...

Hey Rose and HW: Thank you for your thoughts! My internal frame Gregory has plenty of ways to secure the load, as that is also important for all the stuff one carries when backpacking. As to whether a quarter elk will fit, (and obviously I haven't shot an elk yet) I had planned on boning out what doesn't, but thanks for reminding me to consider that. I have a cow/calf tag, so hopefully it won't be too big. I will def try to find something comparable in size to see if it will fit in my pack.

This is an exciting challenge, and a new one for me. (I'm 67.) Oddly, my man won't hunt with me, and I don't know any women who will or could go with me. Other hunters I meet in the mountains think it's pretty strange for a woman to be hunting alone. But since I've been hiking alone for 40 years, it's normal.

HW, I'm glad to hear that you rely on what has worked for you over the years, and that you're not overly impressed with these newer pack models. Yes! They do weigh a lot, with a lot of the weight coming from my wallet! Plus, I value tradition same as you.

I think it's weird that in local shops and online there are so few choices for women in terms of hunting packs, clothing, etc. If I had the time and money, I'd be creating a whole, new line of affordable, quality hunting gear for women. If wishes were horses...
I'm so impressed right now, I'm exactly half your age and I hope I am as brave as you are when I get there!! I hunt about 50/50 solo and with my family, but it would be fun to have another woman to hunt with. No one has ever given me any trouble about it while I've been out and about.
Keep us posted about how your hunt goes! I'm excited for you to get to do this!!

Back