Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Hunter

ctay20

Just wanted to say hi. New to the board and new to hunting. Drew a tag for Elk in unit 12 New Mexico on my first try so I guess I'm lucky! :)

My Dad was not a hunter but I am a competitive shooter and ended up talking with a lot of hunters and decided it was time to give it a go. Been trying to read everything I can here to figure out what the heck to do.

Wish me luck!
Chris

NM has lots of scenic country which is no big deal if you are a local but if you live a few states away then is special to encounter. What is your plan for when the sun rises on day one of your hunt? Solo? Day hunt? Packing a tent to set up away from the road? Have you spoken to anyone that has hunted 12 with the same tag in recent years? Plan the work, work the plan. Good luck!

Still working on a plan for the hunt. I'm in Albuquerque so about 2.5 hours away from Unit 12. Work travel kept me from visiting the area and now the hunt is here! Looking online with OnX and honestly I haven't a clue where to start. I'll be learning a lot as I go simply because I don't have any other choice!

My friends all tell me that Hunting is addictive - regardless of the outcome I'll be wanting to do it more. I hope they're right! :)

Chain of Craters road/area along the continental divide in the NE portion of the unit wouldn't be a bad place to start if you've got no other leads. The public lands in the SW portion of the unit will all hold elk, especially with water and forage being widespread. Normally you'd be focusing around water, but I doubt that's an issue this year.

I'm also in Albuquerque. My daughter has a unit 12 hunt in Nov and we've made one scouting trip. Forage and water is widespread, so I plan on covering ground and glassing/spotting till I locate some elk. Your odds go up if you maximize time in the field and always be ready. Elk wait for you to lean your gun against a tree while you shed clothes or go to the bathroom. I don't have any hot leads, but feel free to PM me when you can and if inclined.

Just thought I would share a quick recap of the hunt. Spent all 5 days hunting, came close both the last two days, but ultimately ended without harvesting an Elk.

Things I learned:
- I wish I had time to get out there on the ground before. Leaned things driving around that I didn't get from e-scouting.
- Some private landowners in this unit (Unit 12 New Mexico) realize that they hold the access keys to some great public land hunting grounds and do their best to restrict access so they can monetize this access. I have heard people talk about the challenges of public land access before but never really realized how significant it can be. Frankly I was really surprised that the state allows this type of "gaming" the system. Some BLM and State land is not accessible at all because of how the private is setup at all the trailheads. Disappointing.
- Elk are some tricky animals. We were on a big bull two days in a row in the morning - no more than 100 yards away from him bugling - only to see him pull a Houdini and disappear at first light. I don't think we ever spooked him, he just move away so quietly and in unexpected directions that we couldn't follow with no light. Spent hours and many miles trying to track back to bedding without success.
- Even when you aren't successful Elk Hunting still is fun. It was pretty intense to get up close to these guys and to be able to see how big they really are. Amazing.

Anyway - that was my first hunt. I'll be reading up everything I can here and will put in again next year. :)

Chris

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back