Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New hunter public service announcement

Tlrussell

In the last two days I have observed 4 individuals, 1 of which appeared to be fit, not less than 7mi and 2,000 ft from the trailhead. This is my regular spot and I pay close attention.

What they have in common:

1. They are not from the area.
2. They are walking advertisements
3. They have no local resources
4. 3 of the 4 I have talked to and have not killed an elk before.

3 trips minimum to get a bull out. If you are a hero.
Likely 4-5.
Daytime temps in the 70s.

If you are a new elk hunter and chasing back deep. You will lose a tremendous amount of meat if you kill like this.

That is all.

As someone from the Midwest who started elk hunting about 6 years ago, and has packed elk.....

One really good thing to do, if you haven't, is find a area of big public land close to home. Some areas will be further from something like this than others. Go do an overnight camping trip and try to shoot a whitetail at least 1-2 mi from your truck. Do the gutless method, load up that meat (a whitetail and your gear will result in a fairly good load), and pack that thing out. It will give you a frame of reference as to what's involved, and what it's like to actually pack 80-100 lbs out, in a way that likely won't result in you getting in over your head.

I had done this a bunch of times before I had the opportunity to pack an elk out, and it streamlined the process considerably. I can't imagine anyone who's actually carried 100 lbs out is going to put themselves in a scenario where they are 7 mi in, solo, with an elk down in 70 degree temps. It's a recipe for disaster.

As someone from the Midwest who started elk hunting about 6 years ago, and has packed elk.....

One really good thing to do, if you haven't, is find a area of big public land close to home. Some areas will be further from something like this than others. Go do an overnight camping trip and try to shoot a whitetail at least 1-2 mi from your truck. Do the gutless method, load up that meat (a whitetail and your gear will result in a fairly good load), and pack that thing out. It will give you a frame of reference as to what's involved, and what it's like to actually pack 80-100 lbs out, in a way that likely won't result in you getting in over your head.

I had done this a bunch of times before I had the opportunity to pack an elk out, and it streamlined the process considerably. I can't imagine anyone who's actually carried 100 lbs out is going to put themselves in a scenario where they are 7 mi in, solo, with an elk down in 70 degree temps. It's a recipe for disaster.
Right. Very wise

Back