new guy from virginia

I grew up in mcdowell county, southern most part of WV. little town called Jolo, most famous for the snake handling church lol

LMAO, my wife did research on Jolo snake handlers when she was in school. We never went there though. It, Mingo, and Logan counties were on the short list of places WVU students were encouraged not to go. I would have to say that WV is alot like places in the west. Locals get tired of out of towners telling them everything that is wrong with their home....can't say I blame them.

Gotcha. I grew up in Morgantown and transplanted to MD in 1987. This is by far the best hunting forum I've been on. Welcome.

Formerly of Botetourt County here, now living in the pacific northwest. I do missing chasing deer and turkeys in the Washington&Jefferson and the Monongahela national forests. One of my former coworkers was from McDowell County originally. He used to love to tell people that his area was so poor, Hurricane Hugo did 10 million dollars worth of improvements when it rolled thru.

Formerly of Botetourt County here, now living in the pacific northwest. I do missing chasing deer and turkeys in the Washington&Jefferson and the Monongahela national forests. One of my former coworkers was from McDowell County originally. He used to love to tell people that his area was so poor, Hurricane Hugo did 10 million dollars worth of improvements when it rolled thru.

Thats pretty good, I'll be retelling that in some form. Probably to make fun of my WV relatives.

I grew up in mcdowell county, southern most part of WV. little town called Jolo, most famous for the snake handling church lol

Sure is a small world. Some huge deer in "the county" trust me guys this guy is no tender foot anyone who knows anything about McDowell knows guys are born with one leg longer than the other to walk those mountains! I am from Tazewell County, Va. Worked in McDowell about three years and been to Jolo. Welcome

Welcome VA New Guy

I spent seven years in VA recently, and frankly, loved the archery deer hunting. You can't beat the long archery season in VA. Nearly six months if you're on private land. Took a lot of great whitetail venison there.

Welcome my friend.:D

Thats pretty good, I'll be retelling that in some form. Probably to make fun of my WV relatives.

Good strong wind like that probably left enough timber on the ground to rebuild the governor's mansion. I heard it was a total loss after the fire. They couldn't even reuse the axles.

I always felt the saddest part of that fire was the loss to WV's literary storehouse when the conflagration gutted the governors library as well. It burnt both his books and he hadn't even finished coloring in the one. :D

I grew up in Rockingham Co. Spent many a memorable morning in Highland Co chasing longbeards up and down those ridges. If you can do that, you can hunt elk. The mountains are just twice as big and the pack out after a successful elk hunt will make you question your sanity until you get back to the truck.

You hear a lot of people making comparisons to hunting turkeys and elk and for the most part it's a lot of baloney. But there really are a lot of similarities to hunting those Appalachian Mountain birds and elk.

Welcome neighbor. I have a daughter in law from Lynchburg, a grandson going to college in Farmville and spent a lot of time in Loudon Cty, near Leesburg when I was a working stiff.

In recent years there have been quite a number of West Virginians moving into the Charlotte area for some reason so the Governor funded a study as to why, and they determined that this is about as far as a tank of gas will take them. :D:D

Back