New guy from PA

FrogFire7

Hey guys! New guy here. A little background about me.

Lived in PA my whole life, only ever hunted in PA. Dad is 66 this year and always wanted to elk hunt, so I told him we just need to make it happen. So since the end of last year, I've been planning. We are going to pack in and do sort of a base camp set up, hunting from camp every day. Won't be terribly far from the road (hoping for about 3 miles) so if we are in a spot devoid of elk we can move if needed. (I have done a few backpack trips in the past, one was about 63 miles in 4 days, so I do have some experience with backpacking, but none in cold weather).

Public land has never been big on my radar since pretty much all the white tail hunting I've ever done is on private land. We DO have some state owned game lands here with decent access, but they are kind of a last resort. Different game out in the west!! I'm growing more appreciative of public lands by the day, and plan to utilize my local game lands as well in the future.

I knew (still know, really) next to nothing about elk or elk hunting, so I started listening to some of Randy's podcasts. Now, I never had TV with outdoor channels, so I hadn't ever watched his shows, knew nothing about him. (Recently started Fresh Tracks on amazon prime though, good stuff!!). Have learned a LOT from the podcasts, and now just turned to this forum.

Our plan is to go OTC in Colorado this year, since I was so limited on time between work and kids and house projects to do much research on drawing tags this year. Never applied for one before, but next year will be different after I listen to more of the podcasts. Right now I'm way more focused on HOW to hunt elk. Different ball game than walking 100 yard to the stand, or doing still hunt drives on 100 acre parcels.

I'm sure I'll have questions, right now just gleaning info and wanted to introduce myself, and say thanks for this awesome resource. I have basically nothing to contribute right now, but hope to change that very soon!

-Jonathan

Great into! It's a nice change of pace than the typical ones that pop up before the season. PA born and raised myself, however I'm leaving PA this fall moving out west.

Best of luck to you!

Great into! It's a nice change of pace than the typical ones that pop up before the season. PA born and raised myself, however I'm leaving PA this fall moving out west.

Best of luck to you!
And to you as well!!! I really like PA, I hope that bug doesn't bite too hard :ROFLMAO:

Welcome aboard! I'd suggest buying a point for Wyoming this year. You still have time.
Thanks man, I'll look into that.

Just using On-x and other Web mapping stuff, Idaho looks mighty tempting, just from topography. But I'm open to anything, Wyoming would be great as well!! Appreciate the advice!

Welcome to the group. There are so many resources for us new western big game hunters. It is a daunting task to e-scout from afar, hoping you know what to look for to find the animals. There are a lot of miles to cover out west and I wish you all the best of luck in your quest for an elk. (I will be right there with you, trying my hand the first time out west).

Welcome from the Southwest corner. Have a fun, safe hunt and definitely pick up the Wyoming point.

there is a wealth of information available here if your willing to read. As NEWHunter says, lots of good info in old threads.

Welcome from Central PA.
Good luck. I to am headed this fall for my 1st elk chase. I was out scouting a couple weeks ago an elevation didn't bother so much as water consumption. No humidity lets you dry out as you hoof it, but then you'll be sucking 2 liters down in no time. An when you see green just assume its like our mountain laurel. Oak brush galore.

Hunt talk is a great forum with great people! There are so many members here willing to help in anyway that they can

I'm sure you'll find tons of great resources and meet tons of great people here as I have

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back