New generator

ccc23454

Looking to replace rough running 8? Year old sportsman generator that i paid $200 for new. Want to upgrade and leaning towards the honda 2200i but wanted opinions if anyone has one or the simular sized yamaha and generac. Price point on honda and yamaha are $1200, generac is $650 so significant difference but thinking just do it right on the Honda. Useage is daily for 1-3 hours 100ish days a year, mainly recharging batteries in trailer and will see some rough transporting. Anyone have experiances or maybe likes/dislikes on the 3? Thanks

I've git an 2200 bullet proof worth every penny so far. We use them at work all the time for running small pumps Etc, the last year or so they cheaped out and bought the Predator version which I think is from Harbor Freight. What a piece of s***. No experience with a generacs or Yamaha.

Eu2200i is what I stick with. I never tried out the Yamaha because the price difference wasn't enough to justify switching from the Honda. I went camping with a guy that brought a Generac and the extra noise was too much. He had some type of sleep apnea machine and I honestly thought it would be worth risking turning it off vs listening to that effing genny all night long. (100' away and behind heavy brush) The Honda is a proven reliable, long lasting, quiet generator. I installed a conversion kit on one of my 2200i generators and now it will run on gasoline, LPG, or Nat gas ... LP seems to run quieter IMO

If you're recharging trailer batteries, get 180 + watts of solar.
I ran a 2000i for a decade, I now use the 2200i when I want roof air. The Predator 3500 is legit and as quiet as the honda but too much for me to pack around.

I’ve been looking at these as well.
My parents have a champion 3400 that runs the heat and air in their camper.
Used it to run my fridge for like 4hrs last week.
Very quiet and I mean, it ran the fridge.
Like you, based on work experience, I’m drawn to the Honda, but they’re really proud of those things and it seems that you can get some extra wattage for less money 🤷‍♂️

I have a Honda and it is great for camping. It can run almost 8 hours on a tank of 1 gallon. It can easily run a freezer but is not strong enough to run a camper AC.

If I had to do it over I would get the next larger model.

I bought a champion 3100 so I could run my AC in my camper but have only run the AC a couple times in 5 years. Its 96 pounds and definitely a pain to move around by myself. But it's worked really well for everything I've used it for. I'd say it's probably louder than my buddies Honda 2200 but barely noticeable in my opinion. Another buddy has a champion 2000. It's quiet and has never had a problem in the 4 years he's used it. Honda is top notch for sure but at the price they ask, I'd gladly buy a champion again before a Honda.

Edit: mine has an electric start and it’s a nice feature. But along with the electric start comes an electric choke and when the battery goes dead, I have to remove the cover to manually choke. Can be a pain.

Last edited:
I have a Honda and it is great for camping. It can run almost 8 hours on a tank of 1 gallon. It can easily run a freezer but is not strong enough to run a camper AC.

I bought an auxiliary 5 gallon tank and can run hard 24 hours running two ice eaters for duck hunting. Just a thought if you wanted a longer run time.

Add a soft start module.

Part of it depends on what you are going to be running off of it. More sensitive electronics prefer something that puts out a clean sin wav - which implies an inverter. Those are generally more expensive.

20230715_232652.jpgThis is my recommendation and I'm biased as hell. I'm a diesel mechanic at Cummins but do not work on generators. Can be run in ttandem if more power is required, which I'd recommend over buying the larger P4500i (carburetor issues). According to Google they're $820.

I have a Generac. No complaints. It's 15 years old or so. Starts every time. Quiet. Most of the generators we put in custom homes are Generac. I would like a 3000 if I ever upgrade. mtmuley
4 out of 5 estimates I got on a backup generator for the house were using Generac. That's pretty impressive.

You can run 2 eu2200i in series cheaper than the next model up. Plus get more power & more portability.

View attachment 284217This is my recommendation and I'm biased as hell. I'm a diesel mechanic at Cummins but do not work on generators. Can be run in ttandem if more power is required, which I'd recommend over buying the larger P4500i (carburetor issues). According to Google they're $820.
Never knew they made these Thanks for sharing that.

My 3000 eu honda is nice but its a heavy SOB for an old guy to lug around. Doing it again I would go 2200 honda and add one “if“ I ever needed more power. As I get older for myself a more modular portable system seems mo betta.

Here's a side by side comparison Honda - Cummins.
From what I’ve read, the smaller Onan inverter generators aren’t actually made by Cummins or Onan. I think they’re made by Generac and then outer plastic is Onan branding. Same with craftsman and several other brands. Nothing wrong with Generac, I have a craftsman’s 3500 that’s been super reliable and is very quiet, but I think it’s worth noting that you may not be able to expect the same lifetime reliability out of the portables vs the built-in Onan ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back