Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

new gear

dgc1963

Going to bite the bullet upgrade some gear pack ,bag pad n tent to loose some weight my stuff is in good shape but old and as Im getting older trying to shave weight
I have figured my pack,tent,and sleep gear and will come in about 13 lbs didnt do exact weight and with 1.5 lbs of food a day can get 5 to 7 days to 20 to 23 lbs before clothes n other stuff
its costly for a guy that goes every few yrs but I think its a good investment due to taking a good 10 or 12 lbs off of my stuff
wondering on what you guys think about the dry weights ?

It doesn’t need to be a one time expense, or an expensive upgrade for everything either. It helps to weigh individual items so you know exactly where you are now, and then pick replacement items that are going to have the biggest weight impact to change. I use a fish scale. There are tons of creative ways to cut lbs that don’t cost $ either. Many guys bring Nalgenes at 4 oz each, and a pop bottle alternative is nearly weightless. I use a single compartment pack which shaved a lb or so with no pockets. Clothing can be twice as heavy with same insulation value depending on the material and construction. Most people can cut 5-8 lbs of stuff they bring but won’t ever need/use. Personally, I can lug a 40 lb pack all day without getting slowed down, so I start with weight of food and water for # of days per trip, then add gear weight to add up to how much I’ll be carrying for the trip. Longer trips I go up to 50 lbs, but the have to factor in that I won’t be walking as far or as fast. A lot of times with gear the primo lighter item is just 10-15% lighter at a cost of x3-4 of the standard item, so I slowly incorporate those items after getting the ones with the bigger impact first. Sheep hunters are often very efficient packers so check out some of their gear lists. Also, consider posting your current gear and weights in oz. to get some more detailed input from members.

Im not to worried about the expense I save my pennies so I can hunt and buy the gear I need , didnt mean my post to come across about the $ was the issue just thinking getting down to about 13lbs for pack tent and sleep bag/pad was really good
my gear is old and has served my well I have an old prob 25 yrs external fram pack not even sure the name its been long wore off maybe an old kelty or alps and I have a millitary bag a foam pad and a 2 man tent my pack is ussually 50 plus lbs for 5 days due to weight of older pack tent and sleeping bag the newer stuff in looking at takes about 10 lbs of those things
All my clothes are new and lite weights for back country I have so much merilino I could build several sheep, so is my other gear just thinking of the 4 main items a seek tent 2 lbs 10 oz new pack less 5 lbs 6oz I for got the bag and pad weights but it was a very light goose down bag

Me:
Kelty 15 degree down bag 2lb 3 oz
3/4 z-rest 7 oz.
Hennessy ultralite 1 lb 15 oz
Slumberjack 2 - 5 lb 9 oz
10 lbs 2 oz. total

Possible upgrades:
SG Xcurve minimalist 3 lb 7 oz
Katabatic Gear Flex 15 1 lb 10 oz
Hennessy Hyperlite 1 lb 12 oz
Same pad
Total: 7 lb 6 oz

You gave 13 lbs as your target for these 4 items. That’s OK, but you can do better

Thanks Ill check out those Items
I only get out west every few yrs and am the guy most have seen on the trail an old alum frame worn faded green pack bag rolled on top tent on bottom boots with shorts on and a tee headin into the back country looking like an add from well about 1984 lol except old bald and grey mostly
but my gear has served me well for a long time I just need to slim down 3 yrs ago in Co. the weight was getting to me and it does seem heavier every time lol

You can also shave weight by taking a frame with no bag and maybe a lid, using a large dry bag to put your camp into. Then you’re not walking around doing your day hunts with a bag you don’t even need.
8AD498F1-138B-4FEC-97A0-58587D4ACCF9.jpeg
That’s my pack with a deer, camp in the dry bag which stays at camp till I leave, and a lid on top for water, rain gear ect. Other day hunt essentials in waist pouches.

Thanks for the imput my pack does come off the frame kinda easy but I only go well have gone 2 places for elk 1 in Co.and in Idaho mosly been to Idaho and where I go my pack stays with me I dont really set up a base camp just kinda sleep where I am
Ive figured with new pack,tent,bag and pad I can get down to 12 lbs and thats a bunch liter than what I have now and its not a omg expence either
I get out west about every 3rd yr started abt 20 yrs ago and in my 30s and even early 40s the extra weight didnt bother me much well as much and my stuff wasnt old back then lol

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back