New from Idaho

In 16 according to IDFG site there aren’t a lot of spot and stalk bears taken, trying to avoid areas known for grizzlies. I know they can pop up just about anywhere but the Eastern border and way north looks to have the most. 16 was suggested by another person on here but the river he mentioned seems to be mostly in Montana. Something else I noticed from the IDFG site is a lot of spring spot and stalk bears are taken from the units next to Boise, is it that there are just more black bears there or just more hunters close to Boise?
I think neither- It is that southern Idaho supports more glassing. It is more open and it melts out earlier in the spring. North Idaho has grizzlies, yes, but it also thicker and darker timber and is harder to glass.

@Backofbeyond knows the South better than I do. I'm a North Idaho guy.

Spot and stalk bears are killed in the canyonlands of central Idaho as well. They stand out pretty easily there, but it is as steep as a cow's face.

Just so we understand. Grey's River is in Wyoming. The closest unit in Idaho is GMU 66.

The popularity of spot and stalk bear hunting in a lot of the west is a relatively new thing. It is driven a lot by newer media content by HuntTalk owner Randy Newberg, MeatEater's Steven Rinella, and others. Traditionally spring bears in North Idaho are killed over bait or with hounds. I myself have only started actually targeting spring bears in the last couple of years. There is also a large fraction of the annual bear kill that comes from "by-kill", happening on bear while hunting something else. I know I have certainly seen more that way than actually trying to find them.

Had to read that a couple times to clear the vomit taste out the back of
my throat.

Hard to think of myself as a “south Idaho” guy…

But totally true on the second part. Until maybe 10 years ago bears were just a target of opportunity. Something you had the tag for, and harvested if you happened upon ine while elk or deer hunting.

The only “spring bear” hunting we did in high school involved a 12 pack of whatever gut rot we could find, and driving all the fresh clear cuts available.

Had to read that a couple times to clear the vomit taste out the back of
my throat.

Hard to think of myself as a “south Idaho” guy…

But totally true on the second part. Until maybe 10 years ago bears were just a target of opportunity. Something you had the tag for, and harvested if you happened upon ine while elk or deer hunting.

The only “spring bear” hunting we did in high school involved a 12 pack of whatever gut rot we could find, and driving all the fresh clear cuts available.
Anything south of Riggins, my friend......and maybe Galena Summit. I love the Salmon too much to cede it away if there is a split.

Last edited:
We always drew the border at the time zone. And just because I live down here now, doesn’t mean I’m from down here…
If I may interject. Whenever I hear someone say "Northern" Idaho, I cringe, then I correct them.
There are two Idahos, North Idaho and Southern Idaho, as we like to separate ourselves, both geographically AND culturally.

Riggins is a good cutoff, I was always more of a Whitebird Pass guy. I might accept the Time Zone line, as you're still north of the Hwy 55 junction.

If I may interject. Whenever I hear someone say "Northern" Idaho, I cringe, then I correct them.
There are two Idahos, North Idaho and Southern Idaho, as we like to separate ourselves, both geographically AND culturally.

Riggins is a good cutoff, I was always more of a Whitebird Pass guy. I might accept the Time Zone line, as you're still north of the Hwy 55 junction.
I can work with any line north of McCall and Ketchum.

I think neither- It is that southern Idaho supports more glassing. It is more open and it melts out earlier in the spring. North Idaho has grizzlies, yes, but it also thicker and darker timber and is harder to glass.

Spot and stalk bears are killed in the canyonlands of central Idaho as well. They stand out pretty easily there, but it is as steep as a cow's face.

Just so we understand. Grey's River is in Wyoming. The closest unit in Idaho is GMU 66.

The popularity of spot and stalk bear hunting in a lot of the west is a relatively new thing. It is driven a lot by newer media content by HuntTalk owner Randy Newberg, MeatEater's Steven Rinella, and others. Traditionally spring bears in North Idaho are killed over bait or with hounds. I myself have only started actually targeting spring bears in the last couple of years. There is also a large fraction of the annual bear kill that comes from "by-kill", happening on bear while hunting something else. I know I have certainly seen more that way than actually trying to find them.
All good info, thank you for helping out. I realized after I sent the last message that the area I was referring to was in Wyoming and not Montana but I had already sent it. Sounds like somewhere in the southern half might be better for glassing on a spring spot and stalk for an older hunter like myself

Yes I was referring to the greys river area by alpine, wyoming
Some of the best bears in the state there.
Idaho has some good areas too. I prefer the Selway for those.

Welcome to the forum. I’m planning to visit Idaho Oct 2022 and can’t wait to explore your great state.
Just moved to Idaho Aug. 2021 love the state and the people 2022 will be first year to hunt as resident can't wait Idaho loves there hunting and fishing.

I miss the nostalgic Northern Idaho so much from the 90's. Grew up there on the Lolo in the glory days of elk hunting. Not so glorious now, but I'd still rather be there than in Washington where I'm at now.
Moved from Washington to Idaho for a better all around experience I get where you are coming from.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back