Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New from Idaho Panhandle

KG92

Brand-new to this site, I've fished Eastern WA and North Idaho my whole life and I'm just getting back into big game hunting, got an antelope and whitetail last year. I always seem to find myself on this site when doing research, and have always come away with lots of great insight, so I figured I'd join.

I'm planning an ID bear hunt the last weekend of April, and I want to be somewhere where I can get up high and glass a lot of country. Mid fork area near Idaho City seems promising. Anyone have experience with that area in spring?

Welcome from Latah County.

Lots of North Idaho folks here on Hunttalk.

I don't know much about Spring bear down in that middle country. My kid used to live on Rapid Lightning Creek and never had any trouble finding bears.

@Mica Man @westbranch

Welcome from Latah County.

Lots of North Idaho folks here on Hunttalk.

I don't know much about Spring bear down in that middle country. My kid used to live on Rapid Lightning Creek and never had any trouble finding bears.

@Mica Man @westbranch
Thank you. Unit 1 is my backyard and it’s where I’ll be focusing on in the later part of the season, but I’ve heard that a lot of the early bears taken up there are on bait piles, which I don’t have access to.

Latah co is beautiful. Nothing beats a sunny spring day on the Palouse

Thank you. Unit 1 is my backyard and it’s where I’ll be focusing on in the later part of the season, but I’ve heard that a lot of the early bears taken up there are on bait piles, which I don’t have access to.

Latah co is beautiful. Nothing beats a sunny spring day on the Palouse

No baiting in unit 1 and there are grizz there. Quite a bit of baiting between CDA, Joe and Clearwater but there are still people that get it done spot and stalk. You'll be driving by a lot of bears to get to Idaho City but you should can still have opportunity through June in the Panhandle. 2023 should be my year to actually bear hunt Idaho, hasn't happened in the five hunting seasons I have been here.

Welcome from CDA.

No baiting in unit 1 and there are grizz there. Quite a bit of baiting between CDA, Joe and Clearwater but there are still people that get it done spot and stalk. You'll be driving by a lot of bears to get to Idaho City but you should can still have opportunity through June in the Panhandle. 2023 should be my year to actually bear hunt Idaho, hasn't happened in the five hunting seasons I have been here.

Welcome from CDA.
Thank you, I forgot that unit 1 was no bait/hounds, I must have been thinking of 2. Basically planning on using it as an excuse to hike some new country down south in April, and then hit some of the more timbered country up here through June when the snow melts and access is easier. I spent a lot of time backpacking in the Selkirk Crest area, I might give that super rugged stuff a try.

Hopefully you can get out and make it happen this year

Welcome to HT.

Hunted ID for first time last year (moose) a nd will for second time this year (Elk and deer tags in hand, SE ID). And sheep ( I can dream).

Figured out my basic plan for the spring:

I'll have a free 4 days the last weekend of April. wife is out of town, and I have work off. I know that this is EARLY, but I want to get out there. I plan on driving down and camping along the Salmon river east of Riggins, and hiking into as many drainages north of the river as I can, and hopefully finding some green areas to glass. Even if I don't see a thing, I'll be happy with exploring some new country.

If that trip doesn't pan out, I'll be trying to hunt closer to home for the rest of the season, probably will be able to scrape together a few weekends in late may/early June. North Idaho is thick and I've gathered it can be tough without bait, but I won't have the time to get into any more open units, and I'd rather gain some experience in the thick country than sit at home. I do know that there are a ton of bears up here, it all comes down to just finding them. Some of the rugged stuff east of Clark Fork, in the western part of the cabinets, intrigues me for this part of spring.

That's my plan, maybe it's not perfect, but it gets me into the mountains in the beautiful Idaho spring and as a new bear hunter, I'm not sure I can ask for much more.

Welcome to HT.

Hunted ID for first time last year (moose) a nd will for second time this year (Elk and deer tags in hand, SE ID). And sheep ( I can dream).
Nice. Were you successful with your moose?

You are going to could have a hard time driving a lot of those roads in April unless it’s a warm Spring. Especially if you’re trying to get up high and glass. I’d recommend driving low and glassing up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back