Yeti GOBOX Collection

New camera

Bambistew

I need a new camera... I'm not sure what one to go with at this point. I'd like it to run on AA batteries, be small/light but offer great quality. A zoom would be sweet, but not really necessary over the standard 3x. I was looking at the Nikon Coolpix at Walmart the other day, I think it was $100 and change or so. Seemed like a decent camera for the price, hard to believe that digital cameras have got so cheep, they're damn near disposable. Mater of fact thats kind of what I'm after. I'd hate to spend a bunch and ruin it in a pack, or drop it in a creek, etc.

Specifically looking for a camera that will take pictures of a white animal against a green backdrop. :)

I've got a Coolpix, 10 megapixel, 3.6X zoom, etc. and I think it takes very nice pictures for the price. Sadly, I don't have any photos of game to post since I've only had it for ~2 years and I've been skunked in the tag department for that time. The self timer is easy & it's pretty compact for a pack. Don't know about dropping it in a creek. I think the trout I catch prefer spinners.

White animals against green backdrops should photograph well, I'd think.

Last edited:
I have an older version Olympus Stylus. shock and water proof to 10 ft. Mine was the 7.1 mp but they have the 10 version now. 3X zoom was what these were, I don't know what the new ones might have. Good hunting camera, for hero shots.

It comes with a Li-ion battery, and battery charger. I did have one failure during a -10F elk hunt. I think I could have took the battery out and warmed it up first.

Have a Canon Power Shot A2000 IS ..couple years now...prolly been upgraded by now. Simple enough for me.

Google or ebay the Kodak Z740, Z1015, Z980, and/or Z981. They're X from normal to 676 mm, which is like 13 power and $99 to $300, 5mp to 14mp.

Last edited:
Thanks... I'll take you up on your offer.

Actually I have the previous year model of he camera you want. I love it, but the battery life sucks, not to mention cold weather drains them quick. I'm looking for one that will function on extended hunts away from electircity.

I have a few questions, what kind of spotting scope do you have? What set of binos do you have? What rifle are you shooting? If these items are quality and costly, then why skimp on a new camera? Spend the money and get a quality DSLR, you can get one for about $400-600 these days and really, quality photos of your hunt are worth it IMO. Not that I'm saying people that have lower cost equipment buy lower priced cameras or vice versa, I guess I believe in taking good pictures now that I have a DSLR myself. You won't regret it. Ok, I'm off the soapbox now.

I have a few questions, what kind of spotting scope do you have? What set of binos do you have? What rifle are you shooting? If these items are quality and costly, then why skimp on a new camera? Spend the money and get a quality DSLR, you can get one for about $400-600 these days and really, quality photos of your hunt are worth it IMO. Not that I'm saying people that have lower cost equipment buy lower priced cameras or vice versa, I guess I believe in taking good pictures now that I have a DSLR myself. You won't regret it. Ok, I'm off the soapbox now.

I have a very nice camera, as do others I know but there are times that lugging around a DSLR is not handy and is a pain in the ass. We carried 3 cameras in the 400-1000$ price range last year goat hunting but if it wasnt for the pocket cam that fits nicely in the bino case we never would have got kill pictures of my goat. 2 cameras got left behind in the packs and the one we were counting on (that was in the upper end of the price range) was DESTROYED when the backpack it was in rolled down the hill. Its never a bad idea to have a backup for when the SLR is dead.

I'll second that sentiment Indian Larry. I've got a DSLR but it is rarely along for hunting trips.

For point and shoots, I'd buy whatever Canon or Panasonic had the price and features I wanted. I think they are jointly on top of the P&S game these days.

I don't want to pack a big camera for one, secondy I look at this way if it won't help me kill animals it's not a priority.

I see all of your points. I guess the extra bulk and weight to me don't matter to me hunting close to home, but if I were to go into the mountains I might second guess that choice.

If i were looking for a new camera, one that I would seriously consider for keeping in my pack wold be the Pentax Optio W90 it is waterproof, and the lens is wide angle and zoom. most point and shoots do go wide enough for me.
If and when I hunt in a remarkably beautiful area, I would carry my DSLR, but for some camp shots, and some landscapes, and good shots of downed game, most point and shoots do a great job.
Jim

I have a Nikon Coolpx. My son has a Kodak Playsport that has some good features, waterproof, HD video, 5 megapixel stills, and it is pocketsize.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RPN
Back