Caribou Gear

New box blind.

Otto Matic

Recently acquired a "bunch o' lumber".
A local small engine shop sells lawnmowers. When the get new machines in and uncrate them, I pick up the discarded crates.
20210719_111446.jpg
Believe it or not, there are about 15 seven foot 2×4's in that "pile"! Plus a goodly number of 1×4s and 1×6s. Free for the asking!
All you "builder boys" out there! The local Lowe's has 4×8×1/4" CDX plywood....for thirty bucks a sheet! No way, Jose!
I can frame it up. I have all the material I need.
WHAT can I skin it with?
Plywood is out of the question!
Is there any inexpensive 4×8 materials that would work?

KIMG1929.JPG
Half the fun is throwing free stuff together. This stand is 7 pallets a couple fence posts andsome bailing wire we found laying. It gets us off ground on this already high spot on my OK property. Cost us twelve pack of busch and hour of our time to make, even decorated with a cow skull laying near it and custom cedar branch camo. Have fun use your imagination and role with it you can make what you want with what you have. Good luck

Maybe just use all the 1x6s? Idk. I bet it's going to be a nice looking shooting house when you get done though
Yeah, kinda thought maybe a "board & batten" type affair.
I'm trying to keep weight to a minimum. I'll build it on a trailer, then slide it off.
I'm hoping to set it up off the ground about +/- 3 feet.

View attachment 188823
Half the fun is throwing free stuff together. This stand is 7 pallets a couple fence posts andsome bailing wire we found laying. It gets us off ground on this already high spot on my OK property. Cost us twelve pack of busch and hour of our time to make, even decorated with a cow skull laying near it and custom cedar branch camo. Have fun use your imagination and role with it you can make what you want with what you have. Good luck
Thanks for the suggestion! I've been throwing "stuff" together for box blinds a long time.
I'm just an old tightwad and don't want to cough up the $30/sheet for plywood. LOL!

BTW! Nice looking setup!

Recently acquired a "bunch o' lumber".
A local small engine shop sells lawnmowers. When the get new machines in and uncrate them, I pick up the discarded crates.
View attachment 188822
Believe it or not, there are about 15 seven foot 2×4's in that "pile"! Plus a goodly number of 1×4s and 1×6s. Free for the asking!
All you "builder boys" out there! The local Lowe's has 4×8×1/4" CDX plywood....for thirty bucks a sheet! No way, Jose!
I can frame it up. I have all the material I need.
WHAT can I skin it with?
Plywood is out of the question!
Is there any inexpensive 4×8 materials that would work?
I've seen guys (my father-in-law included) that would gather siding that was left over from housing projects and use it. Will last quite a while, accepts paint, and looks pretty good.

I've seen guys (my father-in-law included) that would gather siding that was left over from housing projects and use it. Will last quite a while, accepts paint, and looks pretty good.
Yes sir. Bet somewhere in this dead town I could locate some C-105 or shiplap either cheap or free if I do the pull off.
Good i-deer!
Thanks!

Maybe just use all the 1x6s? Idk. I bet it's going to be a nice looking shooting house when you get done though
Unfortunately, this isn't #1 lumber! LOL!
Not sure I'd even call some of it #2 & better. Maybe #3.
Even the best stuff is 4' or less in length.
Fortunately, there is enough I can pick and choose.

Yes sir. Bet somewhere in this dead town I could locate some C-105 or shiplap either cheap or free if I do the pull off.
Good i-deer!
Thanks!
That's why I'm here. To be the Redneck Engineer/Exterior Decorator guy! :LOL:

Great idea!
You can shave, comb your hair (I don't have any hair!) and check your gig line before getting in your blind! LMBO!

Have YOU priced that stuff lately?
Good grief, Chuck Sienna!
GIG LINE I have not heard that line in years. I G inspections

Could a canvas drop cloth work? 9x12 is 14 bucks at harbor freight. I don’t think it would last long, but maybe long enough for wood prices to go down.

Could a canvas drop cloth work? 9x12 is 14 bucks at harbor freight. I don’t think it would last long, but maybe long enough for wood prices to go down.
Possibly. It's certainly a consideration.
There's enough abandoned homes out in the sticks around here, I should be able to locate some siding pretty reasonable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back