New Bow?

MKotur325

I used to Archery hunt a fair amount. Haven't shot my old bow in 3 years, and am not familiar with what is out there at the moment. In the next couple months, I'm going to be looking to invest in a new bow for the 2015 season. Looking for any advice on bows, sights rests... ... ... I want some time to consider options and budget before buying a bow, and have most of next year to shoot and practice.

I have a 2004 Hoyt bow with a fall away rest, 4 pin sight and some stuff. 50-60lbs draw. Used to Shoot it really well, but had some issues with it a few years ago.

Here are the ultimate questions. Are new season bows really worth it, or would I be better off using year end sales to get a better deal? I would probably be interested in bows from Hoyt, Mathews or possibly Bowtech. What should I realistically plan on for budget, figuring a dozen arrows, sights, rests and on down the line. Is a 50-60lb draw weight enough by your thoughts, or should I plan on a 60-70lb bow? I plan on hunting deer and elk with this bow. I'd like a bow that is smooth and accurate, without being too loud. I don't really care about having the fastest bow out there, and ultimately would like to build a set up that I can comfortably shoot 60yds. Thanks for any suggestions, and also let me know if there are any other tools or gadgets I should consider.

Last years bow on clearance is the way to save hundreds, they'll be near 50% off. What was your issue with your old bow? Should still do the trick unless it failed some how.

The past few years have seen very few improvements compared to the changes going on 10yrs ago. So basically a one or two year old bow is as good as anything they'll make next year. All manufactures put out good stuff anymore. You can watch them recycle each others designs and many are carbon copies of the first PSE X-Force from 2007. Like PSE's patent on cam/limb/riser design ran out or something.

50-60lbs is plenty and you will shoot it better than a draw weight that gives you a hernia. Good luck on your search.

Buy a last year clearance bow, 60# is plenty but if you are comfortable going up then do so. Your shoulder and the cam will dictate that but I would skew to the light side. Some stores like Scheels will buy/trade value your old bow. Im a huge fan of Hoyt, the Faktor would be a great choice. I also like the Elite bows and the PSE lineup for great value. Depending on your gear, you may just want to swap it onto the new rig. If new is the way to go then I suggest ripcord dropaways, black gold or spott hogg sights, tight spot quivers, bee stinger stabilizers, scott releases, gold tip arrows. I would buy the best bow you can, then the best rest. You can always upgrade the other stuff as you can but those are the two elements that have the most impact on your shooting performance as they are what the arrow is contacting.

I agree on looking on last year's closeout. There will be a very noticeable difference between your 2004 bow and a current model.

I absolutely love my Bowtech Experience.

60 # is plenty. It will shoot as fast, or faster than many of the 70 # bows from ten years ago.

I would say buy a new one. I purchased a Carbon Knight last year when they decreased the price. It's the lightest bow on the market.

Plan a day at the store to shoot them all to see which one you like.

With todays bows 60lb is more than enough but if you can handle more than go for it...if you want a lightweight bow the carbon knights are awesome bows but pretty much anything bowtech is awesome.....i just bought a pse source and its a great bow they use its cams on the new dna smooth pull but pretty much everybody is putting out good bows now but my top three are prime, pse, and bowtech (not in that order)

I would look at bows from last year or even 2013 if your on a budget. I have a Hoyt faktor & love it, draw is very smooth & shoots great. Depending on what you go with for a top of the line bow fully set up can run you a $1000 plus. arrows range $30 & up then you have broadheads, field tips etc. It all adds up quick.

Get to the stores and start shooting bows. That and price are going to be what it boils down to. I got a Mathews Helim because of the light weight but it ran the price up finding light weight accessories like a carbon quiver to keep the weight down. I'd try to look at bare bows as well. The packages will usually end up with you replacing the extras that came with the bow anyway. I know a few people who got Bowtech Assasins and replaced the rest immediately followed by the sights a little while later. Don't get hung up on brand, just find one that feels good in the hand and on the wallet. Good luck

I will also add that you should go to a shop for a couple of hours and shoot all the bows in your price range and see which one you like best. I had a PSE from 199? stolen and was forced to upgrade last year. I shot a Prime and absolutely fell in love. But then again it was almost 20 years newer than the bow I was used to :D

Don't rush your decision. Make sure you really like the one you buy. I bought the Hoyt Faktor in January and it is a nice bow and I'm getting a lot more comfortable with it. But when I shot an Elite a month or 2 after buying my Hoyt I started having buyers remorse. The Elite seemed to "fit" me better than my Hoyt. That being said I will keep the Hoyt for now and reconsider the Elite later.

This is the direction I would recommend. I shot Hoyt's for eight years and switched to Bowtech two years ago. I will stay with Bowtech. Keep in mind they are all good bows. I am a firm believer in Trophy Ridge products.

Attachments

• Snap 2014-09-13 at 21.33.43.png
    Snap 2014-09-13 at 21.33.43.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Snap 2014-09-13 at 21.34.34.jpg
    Snap 2014-09-13 at 21.34.34.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 172
  • Snap 2014-09-13 at 21.35.15.jpg
    Snap 2014-09-13 at 21.35.15.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 176
What was your issue with your old bow? Should still do the trick unless it failed some how..

I shot my old Hoyt for several years. I've had it re-strung a few times and since I had it re strung the last time I have tried to have it tuned three times and it has started throwing my broadheads wildly. Field points fly fine, but as soon as I switch to the heads that I'd been shooting with it for 5 years or so, the broad heads no longer fly right and we can't seem to solve that. Not sure if it's a string issue or what, but I have the limbs cranked ALL the way in and on this 50-60lb bow the draw weight scales at 54lbs, and I cannot get any more than that. I just don't have the confidence I used to in this bow, and want to consider my options for a new bow before I look at sinking any more cash into a 10 year old bow...

Thanks for all the suggestions. One more question, figuring a 2014 model bow on sale here in a couple months with all the trimmings, any thoughts on what I should try and budget for a new bow?

I shot my old Hoyt for several years. I've had it re-strung a few times and since I had it re strung the last time I have tried to have it tuned three times and it has started throwing my broadheads wildly. Field points fly fine, but as soon as I switch to the heads that I'd been shooting with it for 5 years or so, the broad heads no longer fly right and we can't seem to solve that. Not sure if it's a string issue or what, but I have the limbs cranked ALL the way in and on this 50-60lb bow the draw weight scales at 54lbs, and I cannot get any more than that. I just don't have the confidence I used to in this bow, and want to consider my options for a new bow before I look at sinking any more cash into a 10 year old bow...

Thanks for all the suggestions. One more question, figuring a 2014 model bow on sale here in a couple months with all the trimmings, any thoughts on what I should try and budget for a new bow?

If you're only getting 54lbs with the limbs cranked down and the others issue's you describe I would say the latest string is the problem, maybe the wrong length? As others have said if you're willing to go with a year or two old leftover at a shop you'll save plenty.

Clearance priced bow with all the trimmings; your into it for a grand give or take.

On a side note; how confident are you that the tech working on your bow has it right. Have you checked your specs; ata in particular and how twisted up is the buss cable. If your ever in billings Id gladly take a look at it.

Find a new bow tech as mentioned I would say, I still like shooting my 1st generation Solo Cam.
You should be able to dial that baby in?
But like a gun, sometimes the fit is not right, and confidence is key. Lots of great options!

Nice offer Redwood!!!! Too cool!

It's been two years since I last shot my old bow bow. Was a bit short on time, and archery hunting was out for the last couple seasons. I'm hoping to get back out in the field with a bow next fall.

I haven't checked the specs on string length and bus cable twist and....... I honestly don't have the faintest clue what the specs are... I do trust the last tech that worked on the bow. It was not the same tech (or same shop) that re-strung it last. I had not considered that the shop may have put on a string that is too long, or in some way botched the re string. I want to change broadheads anyhow and just don't see the advantage of re-stringing the old bow at this point. It doesn't make much sense to me to sink a couple hundred bucks in regaining confidence in my old bow just to replace it in a couple years...

I found an archery shop near me now that sells Bowtech, Mathews and Hoyt. I think my next step is just going to be shooting some of the current bows and waiting for a sale, unless I'm missing something... I'll keep ya'll posted.

I would say string/cable lengths. I had almost the same issue but my 60-70lb bow was shooting 54 lbs cranked down. I will never have any big box store put a string on again. :)

Can't say that I blame you! I didn't have a big box store do mine, but the place that did is no longer in business... I probably wasn't the only one...

I took it to a shop asking about trades cause I wanted a new bow also. I still could not swallow a new bows price so I had them check the draw weight cause it never shot right since I had the new string. Once they got my bow back into spec it shoots like a dream again. Don't get me wrong. The only issue with big box stores techs is the turnover. Some are damn good. But they usually do not last long.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back