New Bird Dog

Guy

Ngdrni2l.jpg

6Pjan8pl.jpg

Year old male. Good guy, but he's a rescue dog with some issues. We made a lot of progress today on "trust"

Hoping that he'll be able to hunt with me a bit later this fall. He's supposed to be a liver-colored German Wirehaired Pointer, but I'm kinda wondering if he's actually a pudelpointer. Beats me. He's birdy as all get out and full of energy.

Pretty sweet dog too. But... A few issues to work through. Training is going to be daily for a while.

My old upland bird dog, Clark, a German Wirehaired Pointer, passed away a couple of months ago. I think that I'll miss that dog forever. But - I also missed just having a dog, and was really not pleased about not having a bird dog with the season looming. He's a rescue dog... I've got my work cut out for me, but I think he'll be worth it.

Guy

That’s awesome! Good luck with the training.

I've got an 8 year old wirehair female. Super birdy and energetic dog, and sometimes intelligent to a fault. Most any issue we've run into over the years has been a matter of tons of exercise and mental stimulation, and consistent training. Not sure if you ever biked with your previous dog, but a sled harness and a mountain bike are amazing tools with these dogs.

Beautiful pup and I commend you for taking on a rescue and being willing to put in the work. You'll have a great friend there.

Sorry to hear about Clark. Good luck with hour new dog, he’s handsome.

This morning he parked himself in another room, and kinda kept track of me.

This afternoon he took a nap with his paws and head on my chest.

We made some progress today.

Guy

Good on you for taking in a rescue. I know I'll be doing that the next go around (which unfortunately could be in the next year or so). He's quite the looker, hope you see you guys in the hills this fall.

Reactions: Guy
Sorry to hear about clark, but thanks for giving this new pup a good home. Hopefully he can repay you with some birds this fall.

Making progress. Yesterday and today he got good walks. Today's was up in the local hills. He pretty well exhausted himself and has been sound asleep most of the afternoon. :)

HDMqXvBh.jpg

Ljo8g7Jh.jpg

U4akTfwh.jpg

Guy

Good deal for you and the new pup. Wishin you both the best.
Sorry to hear about Clark.

Great to see you making progress. He is a lucky dog to have you! Sorry about Clark

Graduation Day today from obedience training, ten lessons. He did real well. I still need work:

jhVdqCsh.jpg

Three months later. About ten pounds heavier & much stronger. He's worked so hard, and has overcome most of the issues from his early upbringing.

Guy

Love this. I agree, he looks like a Pudelpointer. Hope you have many years of adventures with him.

Ah, so much of dog training has so little to do with the dog! I've been hitting my head against that wall for two years now. I've had much better luck with my GSP when I lavish her with attention than I ever did getting frustrated with her.

Grand looking dog!

Great work on taking in a rescue dog. He's a handsome guy, good luck! (although maybe you don't need it with the progress you have already made so far)

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back