New barrel from Bison Gun Works

blueridge

I've previously mentioned the used Savage 10 in 7-08 I bought last year for a winter project. Could never get it to shoot to my satisfaction, so I changed out the bolt face and rebarreled it to 300 WSM. Just wanted to give a personal recommendation for Jim Walters at Bison Gun Works in Louisiana. He did a fantastic job and is a great resource for folks that want a decent priced replacement barrel (or rechambering, throating, etc.). Great communication. Had it in hand in under 2 weeks. Hand loads are printing solid 3/4" groups. Couldn't be happier. Just fyi.

savage.jpg

I've previously mentioned the used Savage 10 in 7-08 I bought last year for a winter project. Could never get it to shoot to my satisfaction, so I changed out the bolt face and rebarreled it to 300 WSM. Just wanted to give a personal recommendation for Jim Walters at Bison Gun Works in Louisiana. He did a fantastic job and is a great resource for folks that want a decent priced replacement barrel (or rechambering, throating, etc.). Great communication. Had it in hand in under 2 weeks. Hand loads are printing solid 3/4" groups. Couldn't be happier. Just fyi.

View attachment 189334
It's a beauty! Nice pic and nice cork display. With enough wine, anything is possible.

This is the only Savage I’ve owned and loved how simple it was to change it over. Changed to a magnum bolt face, got the custom barrel from Jim at Bison, rented the Savage barrel wrench and go-no go gauges from 4d Rentals in Kalispell, borrowed a barrel vise from my neighbor, and had it done in an hour. Nice to have a new caliber in the toolbox.

Really nice! Was this a Green Mountain or X-Caliber barrel blank?

So i'm taking it there is a Savage take off 7mm-08 barrel for sale? :D
I have no idea how many rounds went through it before I bought it, so since I couldn’t get it to shoot better than 1.5-2” at 100 I wouldn’t sell it to someone else. I was just going to throw it out, but if someone wants it I would be glad to give it away for shipping cost. 7-08 short shank.

I know the thread is a little old but did Bison get a 300 wsm reamer or did you have to rent it? I still don't see that reamer on their website. I have used Jim several times. He has great turnaround times.

Nice looking rifle by the way!

I know the thread is a little old but did Bison get a 300 wsm reamer or did you have to rent it? I still don't see that reamer on their website. I have used Jim several times. He has great turnaround times.

Nice looking rifle by the way!
@s3silver , Jim chambered the new barrel for me. If he doesn't have a 300wsm reamer, 4D Reamer Rentals does. I have rented from them multiple times and have always been extremely satisfied.

Did you have to rent the reamer for him to chamber?
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking originally. I thought you were looking to rent a reamer to use yourself.
No, Jim did not have to rent the 300wsm reamer to do my barrel. I just don’t think he has updated the list on his website in quite a while.

Are you feeding from the original mag box and follower? With the side bolt release, I assume this is an older stagger feed model.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking originally. I thought you were looking to rent a reamer to use yourself.
No, Jim did not have to rent the 300wsm reamer to do my barrel. I just don’t think he has updated the list on his website in quite a while.

no worries. I'll have to ask him for other reamers next time. Always wanted a 300 wsm but didn't see the reamer so I had him chamber for the good ole 308 instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back