Caribou Gear

New arrows

I’ve gone the heavy route and I’m going to cut it back when I run out of arrows. I’m shooting Victory VAPs that come out to around 550 grains with 240 grains upfront. I think for guys pulling 60-70 lb bows, 475 grains is a pretty good sweet spot. I’d shoot for anything in the 450-500 grain range but wouldn’t worry about foc. You’re going to give up arrow durability if you try to get a high foc and maintain a reasonable arrow weight. I’d steer clear of the FMJs too unless you want to build a really heavy arrow. I’ve never shot them but I prefer to have an arrow that won’t bend

I just ordered a half dozen Grizzly Stick shafts (tapered carbon shaft). I'll bare shaft tune then we'll fletch when I get that done. I think things are going to run right at 500 given my combination.

EDIT: I talked to a gal at Grizzly Sticks and she paused my order so I could talk with one of their techs and she instead is sending a tester setup to make sure I like the results.

Last edited:
Keep us posted on how you like those. Not sure what weight you are coming from but I think you'll like stepping up to a higher weight. I don't know much about the griz sticks but I am interested in how they work out.

J

I just ordered a half dozen Grizzly Stick shafts (tapered carbon shaft). I'll bare shaft tune then we'll fletch when I get that done. I think things are going to run right at 500 given my combination.

EDIT: I talked to a gal at Grizzly Sticks and she paused my order so I could talk with one of their techs and she instead is sending a tester setup to make sure I like the results.

One of my hunting mates carries a grizzly stick in his quiver when we are hog hunting - uses it for a finisher. From memory he’s taken a dozen hogs with the same shaft and hasn’t looked like breaking it.

Been shooting the Easton Axis #400 since the came out using the 50 gr inserts instead of what comes with em.

Keep us posted on how you like those. Not sure what weight you are coming from but I think you'll like stepping up to a higher weight. I don't know much about the griz sticks but I am interested in how they work out.

J
As an update....these arrows did not work for me. No matter what we tried we couldn't get them to print. 2 of them had visible wobble on the spinner without tips. The rest we have no idea why they didn't want to cooperate so I got rid of them and ended up with Black Eagle X-Impacts with 75 grain Stainless Inserts as they were available locally. I forget the FOC but I'm right at 500grains

Back