Caribou Gear

Nevada On My Own Adventure

Thanks for the story Blake. I am a Montana boy born and bred, but I spent 12 years in Nevada. I love that state and really miss it sometimes. I want to go back too. mtmuley

Awesome photos Blake! Nevada is an incredible state, I plan to go back someday soon also.

How come you didn't spend more time in the wilderness high country?

That's awesome man. You have such a great attitude and it was a great writeup. Still tons of hunting season left too!

Great photos and account of your hunt!

Just interested to know, why didn't you pack up your fly camp gear and hike into the rocky basin where the monster buck was? I tend to have the motto that i never leave big animals to go and try to find other big animals that you aren't sure are there.

It isn't easy hunting on your own, but I'm sure you will come back strong next time around.

Enjoyable read.

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

JLS, the smoke made for tough glassing in the a.m. and evening (only time the bucks were moving) so I wanted to try and get somewhere where I could glass. Maybe I should have just stuck it out and tried to glass through it but it was annoying. The bucks were bedded pretty early so I wanted to be somewhere I could catch them at first light. When I go back, I will start out in the high Country again.

Havegunwilltravel, kind of the same thing as above. I also failed to locate him the second day when the smoke was getting worse. It was a tough call but I just felt my chance of success was going to be better if I could locate them at first light (which was pretty tough there) and at a distance without dealing with much haze. Of all things I planned for smoke was not one of them.

Great photos and thanks for sharing your adventure. I've hunted the Idaho side of the Jarbridge before and it is amazing country. I also saw a lot of elk.

Great story and adventure! I had the same great experience in the beautiful Jarbidge. Even though that country is so insane, I can't wait to get back to it. There is something very special about that place and you know that it must hold some absolute giant animals deep in that wilderness. Thanks for sharing!

I've shot 1000's of arrows, ran hundreds of miles, and hiked my tail off with a loaded pack all summer.

I got to see firsthand all the preparation that Blake put into this hunt and need to commend him on being so dedicated/focused. There wasn't a night that I went to the archery range when Blake wasn't there before me and stay until I left...serious effort put into his physical conditioning and shooting for sure!

Great write up Blake! I've got ID elk in my sights exactly 11 days from now. I cannot wait!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back