MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Nevada Elk units 76-81

CABugle

Hey guys, one of my hunting buddies drew an elk tag for Nevada and I was hoping for a little help. We plan on scouting pretty hard before the hunt including a summer trip to learn the country. The units are big and was looking for some info as to where we may want to start our scouting and maybe some areas to avoid.

We will be talking to past hunters as well as the biologists and wardens, but I would love to hear from any hunttalkers who may have any info.

It is a rifle tag at the begining of Nov.

Thanks, CABugle

That is where we filmed the episode in Season Two. Lots of elk and some great bulls if you get off the trails and roads.

Send me a PM and I will help all I can. Your friend has a great tag. Congrats.

HTML:
That is where we filmed the episode in Season Two. Lots of elk and some great bulls if you get off the trails and roads.

Like Randy says "get off the trails and roads". There are some lunker bulls in that area, put in some work and you will find them..

I was lucky enough to share camp on this episode and was really impressed with the quality of animals.

Scott

I wouldn't worry about summer scouting very much. Maybe 1 trip after some extensive google earth time, in order to have everything make sense. I had the muzzleloader tag in 2009. Located a lot of awesome bulls over the summer. After the rut, everything changed...

Cmac3.jpg

This bull what shot in early November 15 miles away as a crow flies from where I saw him August 24th..

That time of the year there will be lots of mid range bulls in with the cows attempting to pick up the leftovers.

IMG_3590.jpg

The big bulls will be off by themselves, feeding in the burns and bedding in the trees, with no use for the cows.

Last edited:
Yep, best thing is to get a general idea of the areas you'd like to hit and understand the lay of the land a bit - then, once you get there, pound the dirt. You'll get into them (glass a lot) and should have some great chances at some awesome bulls.

What zone? There are many good ones in Nevada and some very large Elk.
Missed the post heading lol.

Last edited:
my wife and I drew the late cow hunt in these units . i have been in the area before as a firefighter but it has been a few years. this is my wife's first tag of any kind. i also found out that another couple drew this area and it is my friends wife first tag of any kind as well. looking for any info anyone is willing to give i have been doing my sat photo work and topo work, trying to remember the areas that looked like good elk country. planning on taking a trip out there in the next week or so to relearn the lay of the land.

What are the dates of your hunt? I have the early rifle bull hunt and may be able to help you.

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing the results of this hunt with so many willing to throw in some good input. Have fun!

I wouldn't worry about summer scouting very much. Maybe 1 trip after some extensive google earth time, in order to have everything make sense. I had the muzzleloader tag in 2009. Located a lot of awesome bulls over the summer. After the rut, everything changed...

Cmac3.jpg

This bull what shot in early November 15 miles away as a crow flies from where I saw him August 24th..

That time of the year there will be lots of mid range bulls in with the cows attempting to pick up the leftovers.

IMG_3590.jpg

The big bulls will be off by themselves, feeding in the burns and bedding in the trees, with no use for the cows.

Hi I got a tag for bull elk in unit 076 can you give me some ideas were I should hunt

Back