Nevada Antelope Nmbers

NV_ARCH3R

I've often wondered why the antelope numbers in Northern Nevada aren't higher. Not that it would ever match WY, but there's lots of similar country. I believe for the most part the winters are easier. Is it management, different grass species, or maybe less agriculture??? Any thoughts? Facts?

My dad and uncle drew their first antelope tags in the early 80's in the Oneil basin area. Another uncle drew one for the Mavericks the same year. If I remember correctly, this was the first year they issued tags. So the herds have only been growing for 30 years. Other issues, IMO, are - winter range fires, drought, and feral horses. I know I saw significantly less antelope in the area I hunted with my wife this year than when i had the same tag in 2001. There were winter range fires in this area, but their summer habitat is in good shape. Lots of miles between spotting antelope. I dunno....

I have hunted the same zone 3 out of the last 4 years and 5 out of the last 10. Either with my own tag or friends and family. I have never had a problem seeing over 100+ antelope in a day. Nor have I ever had any problem getting a buck or doe. The area that I have hunted doesn't seem to have any drop off in numbers or age class. Have heard of some over 80 inch bucks taken and saw one or two this year myself. I think the fires only have a small amount to do with it and it had more to do with pressure and other natural factors. But I am no expert, just an opinion. Would be nice to know the actual numbers etc that we have year to year.

My guess is a combination of vegetation (which is moisture related) and history. IMO, pronghorns can do well in shrub steppe areas but really take off in more of a shortgrass prairie setting.

what units are we talking about? just yesterday i traveled thru 65,35,31,32,and 33 but didnt see a thing off the main hwy coming home from my idaho unit 47 loper hunt.

I've been involved in three different hunts in 031 over the past three years. In 2010 when I was first introduced to that area north of Winnemucca, we could easily see 100 antelope a day. My friend has a second house in Paradise Valley and knows that area like the back of his hand. Since the Holloway fire last year, the numbers seem to be way down. He will drive around all day and maybe see 3-10 goats. This year he had a rifle tag and we only seen five antelope while hunting two entire days. That fire absolutely devastated parts of that unit and now the flash floods are finishing off what the fire didn't. I've never seen so much natural destruction in my life. So yes, I think that fires have a big part in antelope habitat, but this can't be any different than Wyoming. We were both left scratching our heads because there is still a lot of great country out there and we couldn't find a goat from the prairies to the tallest mountains.

what units are we talking about? just yesterday i traveled thru 65,35,31,32,and 33 but didnt see a thing off the main hwy coming home from my idaho unit 47 loper hunt.
I know it has been a while since this post… my son drew the youth 47 deer hunt in Idaho… I was wondering if you had info. I was looking at approaching it from Nevada into Idaho to the “player creek” and steamboat area… ??

I've often wondered why the antelope numbers in Northern Nevada aren't higher. Not that it would ever match WY, but there's lots of similar country. I believe for the most part the winters are easier. Is it management, different grass species, or maybe less agriculture??? Any thoughts? Facts?
I've heard that Wyomings rain fall is spread out more evenly than Nevada giving them more consistent access to water. I never looked into it but it sounded reasonable.

Back