Nev 72 Elk

dmserpa

Finally after accumulating 12 pts I got an Elk tag for unit 72E, grandson got 72L so we will be spending time in NV. Any ideas on elk movement and how it differs from Oct 22 start of season to late season ending Nov 20. This area 72 is in the Jarbidge Wilderness so we will be there with our mules trying to find them. Any help on their habits would be appreciated. Hunted deer there years ago before the elk came in?

Finally after accumulating 12 pts I got an Elk tag for unit 72E, grandson got 72L so we will be spending time in NV. Any ideas on elk movement and how it differs from Oct 22 start of season to late season ending Nov 20. This area 72 is in the Jarbidge Wilderness so we will be there with our mules trying to find them. Any help on their habits would be appreciated. Hunted deer there years ago before the elk came in?

Congrats on the tags! My sister in-law drew 072 early and my wife drew 072 late so I am heading up there over the weekend of the 4th to scout. This will be my first trip into this area so I plan at least a couple more scouts before October, I have deer tags in 032 so I might not get a trip after Labor day though. Been on some elk hunts before but this will be the first elk hunt for me where we actually had a tag! The bull tags were increased this year for both hunts and I am sure pressure will be high especially with the lack of roads. Our plan is to hunt the wilderness as well (072/073) and avoid as much pressure as we can. I am going to look at access/habitat in lower 073 and 074 as well just in case snow is an issue for the late hunt - it was an issue last year. Everyone I have talked to says pretty much the same thing - good elk numbers and steep tough country. I wouldn't mind letting you know what we see this weekend maybe we can share info and help each other out.

I've got an early archery tag 072, 073, 074, Aug 25th-Sept 16th. Plan on a couple scouting trips before hand. I'm willing to trade info. Not likely they'll be in the same areas from early archery to those later hunts though. right now I'm looking more at 074 for starters. I'm too old for those wilderness backpack hunts.

I've got an early archery tag 072, 073, 074, Aug 25th-Sept 16th. Plan on a couple scouting trips before hand. I'm willing to trade info. Not likely they'll be in the same areas from early archery to those later hunts though. right now I'm looking more at 074 for starters. I'm too old for those wilderness backpack hunts.

That sounds good NV_Arch3r I will be scouting this weekend and Labor day weekend for sure so I can let you know what I see. We will need every advantage we can get. I know the late hunt will be really tough after bow, muzzle loader and the first rifle hunt but I think the toughest part will be the mountain and the weather. I can't wait!! So I am definitely willing to share info.

4th of July weekend scout 072

Hi Guys - a few pics from the 4th weekend scout to share.

DSCF3536.jpg

Saw 5 total from this spot

DSCF3528.jpg

5x5

DSCF3539.jpg

Nice deer

DSCF3571.jpg

Little guy

We saw 13 bulls total on a couple of evenings plus quite a few deer and a lot of antelope.

There were quite a few folks out scouting and camping - beautiful area!

Hi NV_Arch3r - I did look a bit at 073 on the edge of the wilderness but most of the time I was in 072 at the wilderness and on Elk Mountain, Send me a PM if your interested.

Hi dmsherpa - I can tell you what I know if you are interested shoot me a PM...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back