PEAX Equipment

Nephew headed to Fort Hood...anyone around to connect him with?

SFC B

My nephew Jacob is about to finish AIT as a track mechanic and has gotten orders to beautiful, scenic Ft. Hood. I have been talking to him about taking advantage of all of the outdoors he can. He is a great young man who decided to serve and see some of the world other the Hoosier land and I am expecting good things from him in our Army :) Anyone out there in HT land in the Ft Hood area that might be willing to do some mentoring with him? He has been bowhunting for 2 years now ( I haven't had the op to hunt with him) and is excited about getting into waterfowl and rifle hunting as well. I believe he will get there around the end of the month. Feel free to PM me and thanks in advance!!

Yep I was a mechanic at ft hood 2010-2014. Ft hood has over 250000 acres of training areas that you can get access to hunt through the sportsman's center on base. It is free to soldiers and if the public wants they can pay about 350 for access. Good dove hunting and duck if you scout enough. The rifle hunts are run kind of on a first come first serve booking for each stand. Archery is open access to everyone so that's how I hunted. Good pig Turkey and whitetail numbers.
It's a pain having to call the automated hunt number to check into your area but it is nice as they will shut down an area once it reaches its capacity of hunters. Honestly it is a pretty good thing they have going there.
The sportsmans center also has rifle/shotgun ranges and a good cafe with an awesome catfish basket.

Side note. If he is going to live in the barracks I would recommend getting a small storage unit off base to keep his guns in or else he will have to have then in the arms room and good luck checking them out on a timely basis for your hunt if you can get someone who has the key to come at all on the weekend.

Side note. If he is going to live in the barracks I would recommend getting a small storage unit off base to keep his guns in or else he will have to have then in the arms room and good luck checking them out on a timely basis for your hunt if you can get someone who has the key to come at all on the weekend.

Good reminder.....I was always married when I was in and didn't have to screw with that fiasco. Right now he just has the bow but I will remind him about it for sure.

There is an organization that is gaining traction in the Northwest called "The Fallen Outdoors" (TFO). Membership is spreading across the United States and I am sure there may be some members in the Texas area. TFO is an organization that is committed to assisting veterans as well as active duty members get into the outdoors. There are hunting and fishing opportunities posted on their Facebook page all the time. For those of you who may be interested in taking a veteran or active duty member along on a hunt or fishing trip, it is as easy as posting a trip announcement on the FB page. Here is a link to their web site http://thefallenoutdoors.com

There are veterans in every community across our nation that can benefit from getting out there and enjoying the beauty of Mother Nature. For me personally I have found that having a couple of vets in deer camp each year offers that safe place where it is ok to talk about the ugly stuff that haunts the mind and it is ok if you cry in your beer. Sometimes the tears help and an arm around the shoulder of somebody who cares means more than anything.

Last edited:
There is an organization that is gaining traction in the Northwest called "The Fallen Outdoors" (TFO). Membership is spreading across the United States and I am sure there may be some members in the Texas area. TFO is an organization that is committed to assisting veterans as well as active duty members get into the outdoors. There are hunting and fishing opportunities posted on their Facebook page all the time. For those of you who may be interested in taking a veteran or active duty member along on a hunt or fishing trip, it is as easy as posting a trip announcement on the FB page. Here is a link to their web site http://thefallenoutdoors.com

There are veterans in every community across our nation that can benefit from getting out there and enjoying the beauty of Mother Nature. For me personally I have found that having a couple of vets in deer camp each year offers that safe place where it is ok to talk about the ugly stuff that haunts the mind and it is ok if you cry in your beer. Sometimes the tears help and an arm around the shoulder of somebody who cares means more than anything.

I will surely pass that on to him as a resource....Thanks!!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back