Caribou Gear

need some search help on meals

Tradewind

There was a survey posted a while back on a number of different dehydrated (or freeze dried) meals, but
I cannot find it. Anyone recall?
Need to stock up for rifle opener
thanks

Scott, (along with other HT member suggestions) had a comprehensive list in this thread:

This list encompasses a lot more than just freeze dried meals, it's a good list of companies that have a wide range of stuff from single packets of condiments to protein cookies, to a place that sells a bunch of bulk freeze dried food to make your own meals.

Not sure if this is the one but good info
thx, not the specific one i had in mind.
peak refuel has a lot of good reviews. Think I'll give them a try this year.
Need a change from Mountainhouse.
we should prob start a thread on snacks and dinners.

Haha! I saw Hilljackoutlaws second post and figured he forgot his link... though skipped right by his first post. 😅 Oops.
It's a good thread I've tried a couple mentioned though pricey and found myself reverting back to the Mountain House Costco box. This year however, I may have to dabble in various others as Costco is pushing a different box that doesn't meet the previous packaged setting.

I’ve found that good snacks and meals are a key to hunting harder and longer. Many people underestimate the need for calories while hunting. I for one was one of them. This season was a change for me and felt a lot better during hikes/hunts.
What snacks do you normally take?

I’ve found that good snacks and meals are a key to hunting harder and longer. Many people underestimate the need for calories while hunting. I for one was one of them. This season was a change for me and felt a lot better during hikes/hunts.
What snacks do you normally take?

I really like KIND bars. Pretty good source of protein and keep well.

Definitely need to try Peak. Looks solid.

I really like KIND bars. Pretty good source of protein and keep well.

Definitely need to try Peak. Looks solid.

The Peak meals are a great choice. I normally add crushed red peppers or hot sauce to my meals also.

Snacks this year I tried a variety including
Quest bars
Habanero BBQ Almonds
Lenny and Larry’s cookie with single serve Peanut butter added
Honey stinger waffles
Jerky of course
Salami and cheese
G2 Energy Chews

For lunches I tried this year
Variety of flavored tuna packets/ tuna salad mixed with olive oil and ate with some crackers a few times.
Butthole sandwiches- Look them up on Rokslide😃
I also tried some Nunn electrolyte tablets as well as a BCAA recovery mix. They were great and refreshing.

Man, the Peak meals are spendy. I ordered a couple for a quick hitter hunt next week.

The Peak meals are a great choice. I normally add crushed red peppers or hot sauce to my meals also.

Snacks this year I tried a variety including
Quest bars
Habanero BBQ Almonds
Lenny and Larry’s cookie with single serve Peanut butter added
Honey stinger waffles
Jerky of course
Salami and cheese
G2 Energy Chews

For lunches I tried this year
Variety of flavored tuna packets/ tuna salad mixed with olive oil and ate with some crackers a few times.
Butthole sandwiches- Look them up on Rokslide😃
I also tried some Nunn electrolyte tablets as well as a BCAA recovery mix. They were great and refreshing.

LOVE the habenero almonds! Emerald makes some really good spicy cashews too. I've never liked energy chews, but I do like the concept. I may or may not substitute fave red starbursts for them :sneaky:

Damn are those the ones they sell at capellas? Buddy just picked up a bunch there for our elk hunt next week. I remember seeing alpine at the top.

Actually, I think the Alpine Aire meals are pretty decent. No better or worse then Mountain House, just different.

Actually, I think the Alpine Aire meals are pretty decent. No better or worse then Mountain House, just different.
I haven't had any I've thought were particularly good. I made the mistake of bad food on my last trip. Jerky, cliff bars, and mountain house was pretty much it. I was sick of all of it after 2 days. This time I loaded up on pogey bait to mix in when everything else sucks. Cheese its, pringles, club crackers and ez cheese, snickers. Also threw in a couple bundles of bananas apples and pears. Between the snacks and the fruit I'm thinking the dehydrated meals will be much more welcome this trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back