Need some live trap pointers!

Yep, hence the live trap question. All great ideas though. my options are very limited. Can’t shoot inside city limits, can only live trap in co. If I lived outside city limits it would have been shot already the other morning. My lever action .22 was screaming at me!View attachment 270617

Chase the fox down to my house and I'll take a crack at him ;)

One trick is to bait live trap and have it wired so it will stay open. Then after the fox goes in gets bait put the same thing in again but so trap works.

My favorite live trap was Tru-Catch. The traps I used were pretty small (prairie dogs), but they make bigger traps for fox sized critter. Spendy to buy, but maybe cheaper than a couple dozen chickens. Maybe there is a place in your metropolitan area that rents them out.

Have had good luck with this for coyotes. As with most canids though, typically need to boil to get human scent off. Might not be as a big of an issue with urban animals though (used to human scent).

Also check that this is legal. We used it in California to get around leghold bans. It's a live trap. Sort of a leghold trap except it throws a snare over the animal's head instead.

Use hamburger grease on a piece of bread for bait. It is free and will catch any canine, feline, coon, possum, skunk, bear, etc. Chicken or turkey carcasses are good, too. Cooked is better and less likely to catch birds.

Subsonic 22lr. Sportsman’s and Big Green have a wide selection of specialty 22 right now. You’re correct, it is against municipal code to discharge a firearm within city limits. But I heard from a guy I know real well that subsonic 22 works.

High power pellet rifle will do the trick. Fox are fragile and a 17 cal high speed pellet will go through their skull easily

Back