need some input please

duckhead59

I've never hunted antelope before...but have always wanted to. I want to take my daughter (14) and my huntin buddy wants to take his son (10). Both kids are experienced shooters with whitetail under their belts.
This seems to be the perfect place to get some help on how/where to start.
He's what I'd like to do:
*Most importantly don't need to find trophy antelope as we'd like to get the kids into some shot opportunities and us too...(if we'd stumble across some nice ones that would be a bonus).
*want to do it OYO...we're experienced hunters/campers
*was thinkin WY probably best bet
*probably spot and stalk
*need some pointers on HOW TO locate land (public or private)... that has antelope...willing to pay a reasonable tresspass fee if necessary...just don't want to spend the entire hunt looking for a place that even has antelope on it
With a few pointers/ideas we can put a hunt together, but I just don't know where to start on this one...especially on how land owners react or operate out that way.
Thanks ahead of time for any and all ideas and help.

WY would be your best bet, they still have left over tags for this year. The units that are mostly public land get taken quickly (if there are any left after the draw) but I hear you can get a left over tag for a unit in NE WY with a lot of private and pay a reasonable tresspass fee. Take a look at the the following link:

http://plicmapcenter.org/pdf/WY_FS_Antelope_PLIA.pdf

It will give you a general breakdown for units to look at. Check the draw odds against units you are interested in at the WY G&F website. That is how I found the unit we hunt. Public land as far as you can see and plenty of antelope. Maybe not B&C but good enough for me :D

MN Hunter...hey thanks for all the info. I opened the link...good info...and I just started working thru various sites from there.
With some research and planning I think we can put a good hunt together.
Thanks again

You can still buy a preference point in Wyoming for this year, if you intend to hunt next year. I believe the minimum age for big game hunting is 12 years old in that state.

You can go to the draw odds page in the Resources section and search for units that take 1 or fewer points to draw in Wyoming. This year's draw odds will be updated before next year's draw. Use the link MNHunter provided and find a unit with adequate public land that you can draw with one point.

I can't seem to get MN hunters link up but what I plan on doing for my next antelope hunt is (for lack of a better way that I know of)is go to My topo map service.They do custom maps by unit and just pull up the units for antelope in Wyoming and they give you a preview of the map you would get.You can then tell by the different colors on the map the status of the land in that unit.I'm sure their are better ways to find public land I just don't know of them yet.Plenty of public land in Wyoming and plenty of antelope.

unit 24 at Gillette has a large number of antelope. no real monsters on public land but average of 13-14 inch. many public hunting areas. purchase a blm map to id locations. just got back . 4 hunters all scored on 12.5- 14.25 inch . in 2 day hunt with 3 on the first day. average shot 175-200yds with one 400 yd kill.

hey crockerp...congrats and thanks for the info...sounds like y'all had a great time. thats exactly the type of hunt/results I would like to look forward to.
did you see a lot of antelope and no problem finding land to hunt?
btw...welcome to the site...its a great place here!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back