Need Some Advice

Nemont

I am asking for opinions on Hiking clothing and equipment for high elevations on Mountains and Glaciers:

The situation is my 16 year old daughter got selected, as one of 9 girls across the U.S., to spend 10 days at a Science/Outdoor skills camp on Mount Baker studying glaciers.

The packing list is a little daunting.

But can anyone suggest the best quality boots for such an adventure, also what kind of high quality rain gear. She has a good start on the rest of the clothing but I want to be sure of her foot wear and rain gear. The group emphasizes these are very very important.

The program is called girls on ice
http://www.ncascades.org/programs/youth/girls_on_ice/#

Any advice or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Nemont

I'm thinking even the $20-$30 boots at Wal-mart will last 10 days, but I live and hunt at 700-2000 ft mostly. Stiff sole for the rocks to protect the ankles, plus, those ice pick things to strap onto and off the sole for the ice, how's that?

I'm thinking even the $20-$30 boots at Wal-mart will last 10 days, but I live and hunt at 700-2000 ft mostly. Stiff sole for the rocks to protect the ankles, plus, those ice pick things to strap onto and off the sole for the ice, how's that?

There you have it.:D:D

yeah...and save the receipt and dont cut the tags off, you might be able to return them when she's gets back. :D

I am not sending my daughter on such a trip with inferior footwear. Good quality boots are a must according to the packing list. Cost really isn't the issue but rather I was looking for input on what people with experience would suggest.

Nemont

My wife likes the Marmott rain gear she has. Patagonia, Sierra Designs, Mountain Hardware, etc... all make high quality rain gear. My wife has a couple pairs of boots she wares when hunting/hiking... one is Cabelas brand, the other is Merril.

There are some nice boots at great prices on Campmore.com

Sounds like a fun trip.

Nemont, I don't know about "girls" boots. But, I will tell you this. I have a pair of Rocky boots that I got from Bass Pro (Cabelas has them too). They are awesome, comfortable, damn near indestructable (or at least immune to "temporary destruction" :D:D) and reasonably priced. I guess it depends on if these boots are just for this trip or if she will keep/use them outdoors. I think I paid between $100-150 a couple years ago and they have been worth every penny.

Is she going to need crampons or be using them? If so... I would look at Asolo boots. I did a little mountaineering 7-8 years ago, they were one of the best then for that kind of use.

If you could make it to a larger outdoor retail store you could probably find everything you need. There are lots of great bootmakers and you really get what you pay for. I'd stay far away from buying something off the internet just because they all fit differently. Get somewhere where she can try on at least a half a dozen nice pairs to get the best fit for her foot. You will want to know if she's going to be using cramp-ons with the boots too because that will affect the type of boot to go with.

Quality raingear is pretty easy to find. You can get stuff for $30 per piece (pants and jacket) at Wal-Mart that will keep her dry. Probably comes down to how packable you want it to be, how cute she wants to be in it and how much you're willing to spend for a name brand.

Congrats to her on qualifying for the trip.

Most important thing about the boot is that it fits the foot properly. My feet are skinny and it's tough to find a good fit. There's a lot of great boots that I can't tighten enough. What might be great for somebody might stink for the next guy (or girl). Lots of good raingear and outdoor clothing out there these days. Best stuff by far is Arc Teryx - not cheap however.

Maybe I should further elaborate -- skinny feet with toenail fungus and large nasty bunions - what's that mean?

Maybe I should further elaborate -- skinny feet with toenail fungus and large nasty bunions - what's that mean?

Your social habits should keep pharma companies making antibiotics for years and years.;)

Nemo, congrats to your daughter! My wife and I have been using Mountain Hardware raingear for summer camping trips. It's light, surprisingly tough, packable and helps cut the wind. I don't know what type of temperatures she's got to be prepared for but layered over a good fleece and underarmor-type base layer, my wife (who's a WIMP when it comes to facing the elements) is comfy down to around 40 degrees with light activity. IMO, the Base Camp in Helena has a really good selection of hiking/camping equipment for women.

Make sure the boot she gets has good ice/snow traction...I've got a couple of pairs of hunting boots (my Danner Pronghorn's inparticular) that are TERRIBLE if there is any snow or ice underfoot.

Duck tape, that will fix any boot and any hole ripped in a rain jacket, be sure and send some duck tape with her.

I think she will be hiking a little further than from the ATV to the elevated stand. ;)

I have had good luck with Danner's and Meindles. My wife has some of the cabelas boots-her only complaint is they are too warm (600 gram thinsulate?).

You are going to be limited by sizes available. Sounds like fun.

Congrats to your daughter, Nemont. I totally ditto what IDHunter suggests: Danner and Miendles. I've beaten a pair of Danners to death and my feet are still happy. Don't know about the Miendles, but I've heard they're even better. During muley season we live outdoors at 7,000 ft and our camps always seem to face North. Windchill must be below 0 degrees even at 8 or 9 pm. Learned the hard way what works and what doesn't. With those Danners, my feet haven't been cold yet.
My cousin believes in the Body Armor stuff. I believe in the Polar Fleese with the Windstop lining and do the "layering" thing. It pays not to freeze.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back