Yeti GOBOX Collection

Need Some 3rd Party Input

Your sons on the right track clearly she's never been exposed to it. Pretty bad deal there but I'm sure on her side the lifestyle of hunting, firearms, anything pertained to is the bad deal, the best thing you can do is have the adult sit down and she if can understand maybe.

I tell you what seems like in my eyes and others your son is being raised right and good on you for teaching him.

Don't give them any fuel and keep a level head. Good luck

When my daughter was in 1st grade apparently she wrote/illustrated in her weekly school journal how her daddy had gone moose hunting, the teacher brought it out to discuss at parent-teacher conference night. I thought "welp, here we go with our first lecture about hunting and gun references in school and I haven't given a minute of thought bout how to defend it..."

Instead she told us how it was the greatest journal entry she'd read all fall. Then she related how her husband goes "elk hunting" every year, which she's come to believe is just going out to drink beer in the woods around a campfire for a week since he's rarely actually killed anything, and that she'd love some me to bring her an elk roast sometime since he doesn't. I nearly gave that sweet lady a hug! :ROFLMAO:

Wow! It sounds like you deserve a best dad coffee mug and not a lecture from a very unprofessional teacher. If she was truly concerned and thought she had a leg to stand on she’d be calling for a sit down meeting and not casually mentioning the situation at school pick up.

I can’t fathom being in your situation but I would be in the school with the teacher and principal demanding a sit down.

Like others have said be prepared come grade time and at parent conference time. It doesn’t sound like their is much to change this teacher. After voicing your side with the principal and teacher unfortunately you may just have to grin and bear it. Fortunately it is just Kindergarten and we are close to half way done with the school year.

If I got the feeling that this is going to be a recurring theme for the child’s school career I’d be packing my bags.

Tread lightly, you don't want to take the drive out of your boy. When I was little, I'd do the same things. I always wanted a knife for Christmas and a gun. Me and one of my friends in kindergarten would play "hunt" during recess.

Your boy isn't mentioning shooting people and skinning them. He's an outdoorsman. I grew up somewhere where half the people hunt/fish so it wasn't a shock to see something like that. Like others have said maybe tell the teacher/administration that it's not against the rules to be a sportsmen and talk about hunting in school. School would've sucked if I wasn't allowed to talk to my friends about hinting.

Your son and I share the same first name, not many of us out there. Very cool.

My wife is a teacher and has hunting pics around her desk and talks about hunting with her students. We are in a somewhat conservative rural area where hunting is a thing.

So sorry to see but it's happening everywhere. Apparently, this teacher is a non-hunter and doesn't associate with any hunters or she may understand. My daughter, when she was very young would explain to her friends (from non-hunting families) when they would ask about a mount I had on the wall." my daddy shoots them, he cuts the front off and hangs it on the wall, we eat the rest".

I can’t help with advice. I’ve always lived it places where hunting was part of the culture. I’m glad to live in MT where my son’s fall break purposely coincides with youth deer season.

And I would be proud of my boy if he wrote a letter like that. You should be too.
Amen. I am so grateful I grew up in the rural Midwest and still live here. Especially when I see stories like these.

I am a teacher and well aware of how hunting can be illogically conflated with school shootings. I coach archery and sponsor a hunting and fishing club in an urban school district. Some teachers are bothered by this. However, I use other's reservations as an opportunity to be a positive advocate for hunting. I often find common ground when I talk about the "sustainable, ethically sourced, renewable, and organic" food I obtain through hunting. I talk about carrying capacity and hunting as a conservation tool. I speak of the profound respect that I have for indigenous cultures and how they used hunting to thrive physically and spiritually. I invite them to try some deer chili or to consider that less than .05 percent of the time I spend hunting is actually spent firing a weapon. I share pictures of my seven year old son squirrel hunting and pictures of the meals we prepare. I show them pictures of the beautiful places we visit. I explain that the weekends we spend in the woods are far healthier than the weekends his peers spend playing first person shooter games in a dark basement. I spend the time to build genuine relationships with them. Once they realize I am a caring and responsible person, it seems to go a long way.
The teacher may not be swayed by any of this, but I would kill her with kindness. I would show her the loving dad that you are. I would ask her not to pass judgment on something she may not understand. Push come to shove, hunting is a legal activity for youth. I am not really sure the school has much to stand on.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back