Need slim trim scope ideas for new 7mag

Remington92

I recently picked up a new colt light rifle in 7mag that eventually I plan to send off for the Melvin treatment but for this season I’m planning to run it as is. I had a Nikon monarch 3 4-16 I was set to put on it but I’m running into clearance issues on the bolt handle and magnification ring. I tried out a leupold vx1 3-9 i had and it clears the bolt handle. I could get new rings to try lifting the Nikon but I’m afraid I’d need sky scraper mounts to make it work. So now I’m looking at either running the 3-9 for this season or doing some horse trading for a vx3 4.5-14. Does leupold make a 4.5-14 anymore that’s a non cds model? Also is there anything else under 700ish that would be slim like a leupold and clear the bolt? Mostly elk and mule deer hunting in Montana and I’m blind and like more than 9x.
Thanks!

Melvin sold NULA to Wilson Combat earlier this year so you may want to verify that they're still working on the Colt Lite Rifles.

Ya probably won't like this but my 7mm Rem Mag years ago had a fixed 4x Redfield on it! My 338 Win Mag had a fixed 2 3/4x Redfield. Neither ever left me wanting!

Melvin sold NULA to Wilson Combat earlier this year so you may want to verify that they're still working on the Colt Lite Rifles.
I spoke with them a while back. Sounds like Melvins main men are taking over CLR upgrades as well as servicing original ULA and prewilson NULA and will keep doing things the same way he was. Guess Wilson didn’t want anything to do with that

Have you looked into the Swaro Z3 line? They have a 4-12x50, since you want a little more power. I am not familiar with your colt light rifle but my Z3 has no problem with bolt throw on a kimber hunter and talley lows.

I see SFC beat me to it.

It doesn’t meet the zoom you’re after but it’d be hard to beat one of the VX3s in 2.5-8 for a trimmed down rifle like that. Saves a few ounces off the 4-14 and is awesome in the woods

Don’t get a vortex.

@schmalts just set me up with a nice VX3HD 3.5-10X40 I put onto my Remington 700 .280 Remington. Hopefully I get to shoot it before Saturday and zeroed.

I'm putting a Burris Fullfield E1 on my Weatherby Mark V in 7mm WBY Magnum.
Will be my 4th Burris.
Light weight, decent glass, and doesn't break the bank at $200.

The Forbes 24B i had wore an EGW one piece base, Vortex Viper rings and a Sightron SI Field Target 4-12X40. All told fully dressed came in just under 7 lbs.
That's sling & 3 rounds of ammo.

Have you looked into the Swaro Z3 line? They have a 4-12x50, since you want a little more power. I am not familiar with your colt light rifle but my Z3 has no problem with bolt throw on a kimber hunter and talley lows.

I see SFC beat me to it.
I had a Swaro Z3 4-12x 50 on my .257 Wby. mag for a while. Nice scope, should have never have sold that scope!

I have a VX-3hd 4.5-14 on mine. Part of what makes Leupolds my first choice is how light and streamlined they are.

I have a VX-3hd 4.5-14 on mine. Part of what makes Leupolds my first choice is how light and streamlined they are.
You have a CLR? Is yours the 1” or 30mm? I imagine the oculars are the same diameter but want to make sure there’s no surprises since even this 1” vx1 is close to making contact on the ocular

The Remington 700 on top has a VX3HD. Chosen for simplicity and weight desires.

14 oz and duplex reticle. Gun weighs 7lb 8 oz.

The savage on the bottom tops 13Lb 9 oz.

3902D16E-3AEE-4F7F-A584-EF277989D844.jpeg

Just received my VX6HD (3-18 x 44) from Schmaltz for my new 7mm Rem Mag. Should come in under 7 lbs, 12 oz with everything mounted. Have to wait until December to start dialing it in though. Great winter project!

Picked up a set of medium talley aluminum rings and bases and the Nikon just baaarreeelllly cleared so its going to riding on the rifle this year till I can send it in for the new stock and better glass. Took 4 kinds of ammo out today to sight it in. It shot 162gr eldx well enough I didnt even bother trying the others! So far im very happy with the new setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back