Need layering help

Flatlander3

I am looking for input on a mid weight layering option. I searched the thread and it seams like the sitka timberline or patagonia houdini are popular options.

So the main use would be in the 25 to 35 degree weather walking around. Please keep this in mind. I currently run a First lite kiln hoody as a base layer, but if i add any other jacket i have, i get too hot. If I run just the kiln hoody it is a tad to cold if there is zero wind and just plain to cold if any wind. I am looking for something to go over top of this that is preferably wind proof and breathable, but not to hot. This wouldnot be a main insulator. Maybe a vest to keep pits and arms breathing?

Thanks

For the vast majority of western hunting I think the Kiln is too heavy for a baselayer. I'd get one of their lighter weight baselayers to go with the kiln. My typical layering system is either the fuse (Nov.) or wick (Oct.), then a hoody (I use the sitka Heavyweight, which is probably comparable, if not warmer than the kiln). Then I'll have the sawtooth vest (thing is awesome!). I like that the vest can be worn over just a baselayer or over the baselayer and the hoody. If it's windy or precipitating I'll throw on a rain jacket or the FL softshell. I found this year that I would just go with a baselayer and the softshell a lot of the time if I was active. It breathed really well and protected me enough from the elements.

For something like that I'll usually wear a light polartec fleece jacket over your base layer. Keeps me warm & comfortable, but not hot.

Sounds like you're looking for a really breathable windshirt/light softshell? The Houdini is a good windshirt but way different than a Timberline. Maybe something like the OR Ferrosi? Not windproof, but very breathable, pretty tough, and blocks a little breeze. Good DWR, will shed light rain/snow no problem.
There's no free lunch...if it blocks wind it's not going to breathe as well.

Sounds like you're looking for a really breathable windshirt/light softshell? The Houdini is a good windshirt but way different than a Timberline. Maybe something like the OR Ferrosi? Not windproof, but very breathable, pretty tough, and blocks a little breeze. Good DWR, will shed light rain/snow no problem.
There's no free lunch...if it blocks wind it's not going to breathe as well.
The ferrosi sounds kind what i am looking for. I did a quick search and some were 35$some were 100$. Whats the deal in price difference. It looks like outdoor research is the maker?

There’s a Ferrosi zip shirt, jacket, hooded jacket, insulated hooded jacket, and others...many iterations over the years. I assume you’d want the hooded jacket. I’m not sure if this counts as a link to competition. I’ll pm you the link.

There both a regular Ferrosi and a winter ferrosi if I'm not mistaken, plus you have last years colors and this years.... find a deal and jump on it.

My phone is screwed up and won’t copy right, anyway the light hoody is called the Men’s Hooded Ferrosi Jacket. It’s on sale on the OR page and lots of other places probably.

Take a look at the Arcteryx Delta Lt, it is a really versatile piece and great for layering. I think for the temps you're describing it'd be perfect. I run over a lightweight synthetic shirt, and in my pack I'll have a shell and/or warm insulated jacket pending on the forecast or how far back I'm in.

While not the "cool" thing to do..... I have (2) 100% Merino wool lightweight sweaters in olive green that I purchased off ebay for a whopping 8 bucks a piece or something. Brand new. Both made in Italy. Awesome sweaters, soft, warm, etc...

They are what I wear on top of a merino T shirt.

Back