Yeti GOBOX Collection

Need help with 300 Magnums.

Based on the above I'd have a damn hard time getting away from the Sake in 300WM, excellent firearm, elcellent round with lots of factory options.

The cooper 300H&H just has the cool factor if you are a handloader.

As far as the 338 compared to a 300 the difference is going to be in bullets. A 165gr barnes TTSX moving at 3,200fps will do way less damage than a 225gr core-lokt at 2,700fps.

They do have few 338WM in stock, Savage, Sako, Also new Mauser M12 they just started to get in.

What about the 338 win mag. I was reading where slower more dense bullets do less damage then faster moving bullets.
What do you mean by "more dense"? I'm not following.

I have a 338 Win Mag and have taken everything from doe pronghorn to bull elk with it. It works. However, I can't say it'd work any better or worse than a 300 of some sort. I know I wouldn't have one if I didn't handload.

What I think he means by "more dense" is that the 338 WM can launch a 225gr or 250 gr bullet which has
great sectional density, with a MV around 2400- 2500+ fps, and it doesn't create a lot of blood shot
meat or shoulders blown off the animal (which I've seen on antelope shot with a 300 Wby) and the meat
a total loss for that shoulder.

If you're going to hunt with any 300 magnum cartridge, I'd respectfully suggest you use a premium bullet
like Barnes TSX, Hornady GMX, Nosler Partition, or similar construction that holds together at the
velocities these cartridges send bullets down range.

Unless you are going to hunt brown bears every year, a 338 is ridiculous, I would take the 300 long or short, with my preference going to the short. You can have a more compact, easy-handling rifle that pacts more than enough punch for about anything.

My absolute favorite would be the H&H. They are good performers, but are really only for hand-loaders these days.

If you are not a reloader-or even if you are-the big magnums will cost quite a bit to shoot, if you shoot a lot.

Bottom line is get the one that fits you and your pocket book. There is no BAD answer for the list that you have.

Quick story
About 18 years ago I went to Colorado Meeker area. Stopped at the sporting goods store to get my licence and noticed the huge pile of 270 shells and a huge pile of 338 rem shells.so I asked the.lady what was the deal....she chuckled and said well the locals just use a 270 for hunting and all you out of staters think you need the big Gun to get the job done..my group just chuckeld ....
Anyway your list is great .I recommend the one that fits....

Oh we are a 300 rum family ...with three of them in the safe !!!

MT.PERCHMAN

300 RUM as Remington makes the reduced power rounds for you if you don't handload and you want an alternative to full power rounds. Of course, I just run full power through mine all the time - Eastern deer don't notice the difference...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back