Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Need help w/ stock issues on a Rem 673

elkhnter

I’ve got a 673 in 300 saum that I dearly love, first rifle my bride bought me. It points like a shotgun.
I’ve been trimming some weight off the thing and got it down to 8# 6 oz. Now I’m working on the stock.
It has a inch long pressure point about 3” from the end of the stock. It’s also a very tight fit in the channel along the left side of the barrel.
Any reason I shouldn’t open this up a little and free float the barrel? Guess I can always put it back if it goes to crap.
Just need someone to say do it!

How does it shoot? Remington built in the pressure points on many of its rifles over the years, and the shot well. Loading up a sling/bipod could affect POI, though

Shoots really well for a 22” barrel. It just bugs me. I’m planning on bedding the lug, so figured I might as well float the barrel.

Free floating sounds good but may have negative impact on accuracy. Manufactures have them to help accuracy in production rifles with thiner barrels and more flexable stocks. Without seeing rifle i cant help but if its a lightweight barrel and/ or plastic stock i wouldnt.

I shoot my new rifles first to see what they do as is. Most I then free float back to the receiver. Free float check with type writer paper folded in half. Have always removed the bridge in the stock of any rifle I've found it in. Remove a bunch of the bed under the recoil lug and replace it with liquid steel. Dig out the real tang then wrap tape around the barrel at the end of the stock to keep it out of the barrel channel. Fill the rear tang bolt hole with clay and the hole through the stock there, put in plenty of liquid steel and tighten down the barrel action with the front action screw. Pulls the rear tang into the liquid steel and take's 100% of any bind out f the action.

Last edited:
I shoot my new rifles first to see what they do as is. Most I then free float back to the receiver. Free float check with type writer paper folded in half. Have always removed the bridge in the stock of any rifle I've found it in. Remove a bunch of the bed under the recoil lug and replace it with liquid steel. Dig out the real tang then wrap tape around the barrel at the end of the stock to keep it out of the barrel channel. Fill the rear tang bolt hole with clay and the hole through the stock there, put in plenty of liquid steel and tighten down the barrel action with the front action screw. Pulls the rear tang into the liquid steel and take's 100% of any bind out f the action.
Don, are you talking about Permatex liquid steel?

Don, are you talking about Permatex liquid steel?
Come's in two tube's like epoxy and you mix them half and half. Gray stuff and can't remember who makes it, might be permatex! I get it at the Ace Hardware store in town. Last stuff I got is basically the same thing but made by Gorilla and called GorillaWeld. I have used a lot of epoxy and I think the liquid steel set up harder and no shrink.

Back