Caribou Gear Tarp

Need Help.. I have 19 points for Co;orado

gravedigger

I am wanting to go on an elk hunt in 2017.Preferably with rifle or muzzleloader. I was wanting to send in for unit 61 but the point creep always has me lacking enough points. Seems like it increases 1 point every year.
What would you folks do?? I am planning on a guided hunt .. But would like a top quality area . Its not like I will get to apply with this many points again. I also have 12 points for Muleys. Thanks for your advice in advance.

maybe contact a couple guides in the regions you are interested in and see what they recommend? You should be able to do a wonderful hunt with these points. Good luck!

You're in the same spot as my old man and his group that's chasing 76ER. Essentially you have one option to maximize your value and that's 76 muzzy. You can drop to 1st rifle and lose about 4 points in value, which really isn't a big deal. I bought my 12pt this year, for what reason I don't know, but am going to burn them all on unit that might take 5pts. The unfortunate truth is that you'll probably never draw 61. A true PP system sucks especially with all the guys that are on the sideline opting for just points each year.

Last edited:
And just to offer an even lousier perspective...there were 1,219 NRs with 20 or more points that opted just for a point this year.

No idea if it is anywhere near what you are looking for, but I hunted 3rd rifle with an outfitter OTC last season and at one point we were talking about points, etc, and he mentioned he guides in two units, 2 and 201 with some really good bulls, and not a lot of guys because the point requirement is high. If interested, send me a message and I'll get you in touch with him.

Not sure what unit but a friend failed to draw an archery tag with 21 points...ouch!

I know it's frustrating, but what a problem to have! I'm proud of my 2! Let us know what you end up doing...I'll be dreaming of that day for me!

I wouldn't say it's overrated, and I have talked to a few people that have had a blast hunting it. I spent some time there this summer, and it's definitely a quality area. I think were people get hung up is you still actually have to get out, hunt, and work for a nice bull. Those canyons that the bulls hide in can be nasty. I think people burn 15+ points and expect to show up, select their 330 bull, and be back to camp having cocktails by lunch. It's just not the case though.

Gravedigger: You can draw 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rifle in 61 with 18 points as a non-resident. Pick whichever season works for your schedule, get at least a mile off of Divide road, and go have a blast. You should see elk. Also, make sure you use the hunt atlas and turn on the MVUM.

Colorado Unit 61 is a quality elk unit, but it is overrated. It shouldn't take 2 decades of your life to draw a tag there. It is a classic testament to the failure of the preference point system. There are just too many people and not enough elk in this world. Don't be too picky in this unit, but there is a chance of bumping into a 320 bull. Don't overlook places close to the road, either. I had a bull bugling within 100 yards of my vehicle, which was parked on a main road, in September while I was nearby glassing a canyon on a bear hunt. Most of these hyped-up units are disappointing. I'm in a similar situation with 17 points. Unit 61 or 76 are about the only option though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back