Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Need help deciding - WY draw or CO OTC

nhn2a

I try to only do one planned away from home hunt a year so as not to stress out the wife too much with my two young boys while I'm gone. I hunted CO last year successfully and was planning to hunt it again next year after I built up a point again. I have a NC bear hunt scheduled this year so that was all I was planning on doing (other than my standard local whitetail hunting). My wife got confused and thought I was hunting CO again this year and made plans to visit her sister who lives in Colorado during my "planned" hunt. She told me this last week of course after the application deadline in CO has already passed. Not wanting to disappoint her sister, she still wants to go and for me to go hunting.

The good news is I now get to do an additional hunt which is never a bad thing but normally I try planning way in advance and so I'm now left scratching my head on what to do. I just started building point in WY last year for Elk, Deer, and Antelope. I've already missed the CO application period and the WY Elk period but I still have the option to do CO OTC Elk or WY deer or Antelope. I've never hunted Wyoming and I've never hunted Antelope but not sure what good options are available with only 1 point. Also I know I've read a lot on here to expect a lot of folks to dump their points in WY this year due to the price increase so not sure if my 1 pt will actually get me anywhere.

Just curious what you guys who are familiar with WY and CO think and where to start looking. What would you guys do in my situation?

There's always leftovers and returned tags for CO too, if you are willing to play that game when the tags show up. I don't know where you're looking at hunting in CO, but there was some good stuff last year if you were patient on waiting for them and quick on buying them.

I think I'd apply for decent random draw odd deer and 'lope tags in Wyoming, and if you don't draw fall back on Colorado OTC.

There's always leftovers and returned tags for CO too, if you are willing to play that game when the tags show up. I don't know where you're looking at hunting in CO, but there was some good stuff last year if you were patient on waiting for them and quick on buying them.

Thats another great option I hadnt quite thought about. I'm pretty much open to wherever in CO. Opportunity is more important to me than size. I like to watch a lot of animals with the possibility of taking a decent animal which I know is not normally the case with OTC hunts. I'll have to definite research the leftover tag game as I dont fully understand how that works having never tried it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back