MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Need advice on a spike tent.

tom338

Looking for advice on what everyone uses for a spike tent. Edited: will be used during rifle season and bow season. So looking for something to handle anything.

Last edited:
I use either a Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 or a Golite SL5. Many good options out there.

Be sure to look at Seek Outside. I have their 12-man tipi and really like it. They have smaller, lighter versions as well.

A lot of great options out there. Really depends on use. For early season I have been using a tarptent squall 2 for the past ten years and it has worked great. Lightweight and roomy for one person.

I'll second Seek Outside. Great company to deal with and all American made. Hard to beat a bt-2 and Borah bivy at 31 oz all in.

Kifaru Sawtooth. Seek Outside Titanium Wood Stove. Helinox Cot Lite. Helinox Ground Chair. Total weight: 11.5 lbs. Subtract the cot and chair and you're around 7 lbs. I have lighter stuff for when I'm on the go or bivy'ing out, but makes for a pretty bomber solo spike camp shelter that you can spend some time in if you get hit with bad weather.

I have a Seek Outside 6-man with carbon fiber pole that weighs a little less than 6 lbs. I have the SO titanium that weighs in at around 4 lbs. It is a great setup. If a couple of people are going, you can split the setup and it is really manageable in the pack.

I've always preferred a tent to a tarp/bivy setup. Maybe i'm make the jump to a floorless shelter someday. I use an REI quarter dome UL for just me or a quartdome T3 is there is 2 of us. Works great and under 4 pounds either way. Bombproof shelter and its proved it several times. No heat, but thats what a sleeping bag is for.

For spiking out, I run a tarp tent... msr twin sisters to be exact. It pitches with trekking poles, so I often just have it in the bag for emergencies. There are lighter ones out there, but I got a great deal and I love the tent.

I have used a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight for 2 people. Weighs about 3.5#. For me and gear, it works great.

Just bought a Big Agnes UL 2 I think that weighs in at 2.5# used from this site in great condition. I have set it up once on my deck and it looks to be a great, lighter weight replacement for my SD. I'm not sure that there is any viable way to go much lighter and still be in a tent!

It is pricey, but at only 22 oz can't beat Zpacks Triplex cuban fiber tent - works well in the spring, summer and early fall - cant use a stove obviously but for my backcountry archery elk hunts - works great. They also make great custom sleeping bags. Be safe.
Ron

I use a BA Copper Spur UL 2 and love it. Plenty of room for one guy and all your gear. There's also 2 pretty good sized vestibules just in case you packed extra heavy. Super light weight and packs pretty small. I feel like I need a tent Vs a tart or tipi even, because where Im usually hunting the early season the bugs can ruin a hunt fast! It's nice to have a "safe place" and not get eaten alive. Also not a big fan of mice and raccoons having free room and board in a floorless. To each there own though man. Love all the choices we have these days though. Sure beats 20 years ago!

Just bought the Kuiu UltraStar 1P.
I'll let you know what I think when I get it.

It arrived today. Obviously haven't taken it out and put it through a Beartooth thunderstorm wind yet, but the initial impression is very good. The guy out points are very nicely reinforced. The feather-lite feeling is unbelievable. I haven't put it on a scale or anything to see if their weight claims are true, but it is pretty crazy how light it is for something that is not just a lay-down bivy.

Good luck man. Looking forward to the review. I had an MSR Zoid 1 and it was bomb proof, but just a bit small to feel comfortable. For just a bit more weight the BA fits the bill. Curious to hear what you think about the space of a 1man after being out for a bit.

I'd second all the floor less shelter ideas, I have an old mt Hardwear kiva that I love. I've been experimenting with a tarp and hammock as well and think its a very viable option. Very warm with a down quilt and underquilt, less than five lbs for what amounts to a cot, sleeping bag, tent, and huge vestibule. Bonus is you can put it up on steep side hill no problem.

BA Copper Spur UL2 with the footprint. Use the full thing in colder times, use the footprint and fly when it's warm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back