Nebraska “slam” attempt

A little hard to tell from that pic. If I had that foot and a knife, I would slice and dice it for you and have a better answer 😁.

That joint is pretty grossly deformed, which would be unusual for foot rot. I also don’t see any swelling of the foot or leg that I would expect for a foot rot infection. We never encountered foot rot in Nebraska elk when we sampled there. We typically see it in environments with significant moisture.

I’m going to guess that round feature above the foot is hard and bony feeling? If yes, that is probably some kind of bony proliferation and most likely indicates a healed traumatic injury. If not, it could be any number of things. But regardless, that joint deformity is almost certainly why the hoof wear is so abnormal. No way he was bearing weight normally on that.

It’s always possible sublethal infections of other pathogens can sometimes result in abnormal hoof growth, though they don’t typically deform a joint like that. The G&F folks would be more familiar with whether there is something currently circulating in the area. But i think it’s probably good old fashioned trauma.
That’s what the folks from G&P told me too. From being around cattle I thought it was an old break or dislocation. It didn’t seem to limit him much.

I was just curious because (not for lack of trying) I’m not around too many dead elk. 🤣

Did you help our G&P do research down here? I was on the eastern edge of the elk units near Ainsworth. There’s not the biggest bulls in the state, but it’s the easiest unit to draw odds wise. Knowing where the elk are there and after waiting for so many years I just wanted to hunt elk in Nebraska.

Did you help our G&P do research down here? I was on the eastern edge of the elk units near Ainsworth. There’s not the biggest bulls in the state, but it’s the easiest unit to draw odds wise. Knowing where the elk are there and after waiting for so many years I just wanted to hunt elk in Nebraska.
I did work with some of the G&P folks, but it’s been years ago and I was based in Montana so only got out there twice a year. A little west of you- we worked on the Fort, and cooperated with the state on elk/deer herd health. Pretty country.

While I have been quite a smart mouth on the forum. I do have a serious question. Is that deformity similar to a club foot?

Oh and I must add. What is considered proper cheese. I am rather fond of Tillamook myself.

Functionally kinda, but not due to a congenital abnormality. More likely an injury.
Copy that. Ive never encountered anything like hoof rot, I've seen the split hoof on a horse before. Never anything like that, at first I thought maybe trap injury. I'm not a trapper so it was just a wild thought when first saw the pic. Thank you for the info.

You ever stop at that truck stop in avoca with the massage parlor?
God I hope I never have to go to Waco or Kearney ever again. lol
Stop at Henderson. Waco is no bueno. Honestly the interstate towns in Nebraska are all pretty crappy. Maybe all towns. 🤣

Doesn’t matter. All tags are punched. Don’t start the coulda/shoulda game either… has he been out even once during shooting light?

You killed a hell of a bull. Go find a muley deer.
I’m 110% in board with you. I got everything I wanted outta my hunt and it doesn’t bother me that this one may be bigger than mine. It’s neat to see that there’s still good bulls running around up there.

Hopefully I’ll be chasing antelope and mule deer the end of the week.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back