Nebraska “slam” attempt

Your bull is older than 2. My guess is 6. Did you pull a tooth to get it aged?
Yeah, I sent it off. Nebraska elk perplex me. They claim that they have so much nutrition that they grow way faster than elk in the mountains. It almost makes me wonder how accurate the lab is. They said last year this bull was 3 1/2. I guessed 5-6. I think mines either 4 or 8. But I really have no idea. C7F4E4FF-B12A-4C15-8078-648C5A3B1C09.jpeg

Yeah, I sent it off. Nebraska elk perplex me. They claim that they have so much nutrition that they grow way faster than elk in the mountains. It almost makes me wonder how accurate the lab is. They said last year this bull was 3 1/2. I guessed 5-6. I think mines either 4 or 8. But I really have no idea. View attachment 239194
No that makes sense at 3.5. I give your bull 5.5 or 6.5

No that makes sense at 3.5. I give your bull 5.5 or 6.5
I think he’s on the uphill side, not the downhill. But like I said, I know how to get elk tags and wander around chasing them, but when it comes to killing them and knowing much s put ages/scores. I don’t get to worry about that too much. Lol

Our bulls from CO came back at 3.5 and 5.5 and they were one year younger than I predicted so it opened my eyes a bit to how an area know for good genes and big bulls pulls that age structure down a bit. I'm guessing NE is similar with that great feed

Last edited:
Hey why aren't you working on part two of the slam? Wtf shouldn't you be stacking lope with the bow and getting it done by now? Can't screw up this opportunity!
I have a muzzleloader tag for lopes. Starts this Saturday. With the drought it’s been hard to get eyes on any. Places I’ve found them in the past have none. My family down in the center of the Sandhills say they haven’t seen any. I may have to go further west. I went right up through the east central part of the Sandhills today and didn’t see a single one.

Hey why aren't you working on part two of the slam? Wtf shouldn't you be stacking lope with the bow and getting it done by now? Can't screw up this opportunity!
Now now Mr. Seeth. If I remember correctly he called the bull in for his M-I-L and that prolly wasn't going to get him a seat ath the big table. Picking up her antlers may get him there or at least on step closer. 🤔🤔
Mr. Stocker should a place setting appear at the big table. Remember, in some social circles it maybe considered inappropriate if you don't call out distance prior to flinging your mashed potatoes across the table. The napkin goes on your lap not down the front of your shirt.
The most important thing though is apparently Mountain House Meals don't count if your asked to bring a dish.

I have a muzzleloader tag for lopes. Starts this Saturday. With the drought it’s been hard to get eyes on any. Places I’ve found them in the past have none. My family down in the center of the Sandhills say they haven’t seen any. I may have to go further west. I went right up through the east central part of the Sandhills today and didn’t see a single one.
Well if it were easy to get a Nebraska Slam, then Iowans could do it. Enough with the excuses and get on with it!

I think all of elk have lost their voices or they were all evicted from the Bitterroot Valley. Along with the deer and grouse.

Iowan? Iowanite? Iowaianian?

What's industry standard here?
I have it on good authority from some Blue Platers that the proper term is Iowegian.
Not sure if true, but sounds catchy. 😁

@Stocker I’ve been way behind on this thread. Great bull! I’ve done some work with elk in that country, and that’s as nice a bull as I’ve seen. Congratulations, and good luck on the rest of the Slam.

I have it on good authority from some Blue Platers that the proper term is Iowegian.
Not sure if true, but sounds catchy. 😁

@Stocker I’ve been way behind on this thread. Great bull! I’ve done some work with elk in that country, and that’s as nice a bull as I’ve seen. Congratulations, and good luck on the rest of the Slam.
Thank you! You are 100% right on the demonym. Did you see that foot pic? What’s your thoughts on that? Dislocated, broken, or something else?

Thank you! You are 100% right on the demonym. Did you see that foot pic? What’s your thoughts on that? Dislocated, broken, or something else?
A little hard to tell from that pic. If I had that foot and a knife, I would slice and dice it for you and have a better answer 😁.

That joint is pretty grossly deformed, which would be unusual for foot rot. I also don’t see any swelling of the foot or leg that I would expect for a foot rot infection. We never encountered foot rot in Nebraska elk when we sampled there. We typically see it in environments with significant moisture.

I’m going to guess that round feature above the foot is hard and bony feeling? If yes, that is probably some kind of bony proliferation and most likely indicates a healed traumatic injury. If not, it could be any number of things. But regardless, that joint deformity is almost certainly why the hoof wear is so abnormal. No way he was bearing weight normally on that.

It’s always possible sublethal infections of other pathogens can sometimes result in abnormal hoof growth, though they don’t typically deform a joint like that. The G&F folks would be more familiar with whether there is something currently circulating in the area. But i think it’s probably good old fashioned trauma.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back