Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Nebraska for 2018?

Fullquiver

I have been contemplating archery hunting central NE for deer. Who here has any experience with hunting there.and what tips would you give to someone starting out there first time there???

I haven't hunted much in Central NE but have spent some time around Valentine at the NF and NWR. Also around Halsey. There are certainly deer in those areas. For archery hunting the walk in land is probably better than some of the National Forest IMO, especially if there is adjacent Ag land.

Sandhills are pure ass kickers, do not underestimate them. Walking in sand takes much more energy, especially going up hill. And it's easy to get turned around if you can't see a landmark.

I'd go the week before gun season started if you are after older bucks.

There are some ducks unlimited properties down around Lake McConaughy that hold a lot of deer on feed plots for waterfowl which would be my recommendation if you are wanting to go early.

What are you after, muleys or whitetails? If you are after muleys then you are limited to a few areas...The national forests at Halsey and Valentine or the Pine Ridge and Oglala grasslands will be your biggest expanses of public land for them. If you are after whitetail then you can go to just about any public land and find them. For whitetail I would look into smaller chunks of public land along creeks or rivers that may not get hit as hard as the big chunks do.

Here is a public land link that is real helpful if you have google earth
http://maps.outdoornebraska.gov/arcgis/rest/directories/kml/PublicAccessATLAS.kmz

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back