Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Nebraska DIY

Rhamel

I want to take my son on a trip to Nebraska to hunt public land bucks. I am a little confused about the difference between the general non-resident deer and the choice hunt which is considerably more money. I was looking around Halsey NE. where there is 93,000 acres of Nebraska National Forest land but I wanted to be sure I didn't need the more expensive license. I and in search of any and all info regarding this hunt, it is my sons graduation hunt and I want it to be as good as it can be. Thank you!

If you can hunt the Frenchman, do it. Some of the best bucks in the state are from that area.

I believe that the only statewide permit for a nonres is the white-tail. There are good white-tails in the Halsey, but unless you have a permit for that deer unit, you cannot shoot a mulie. I have never hunted that area, but I know that there are some great bucks that come out of there, in spite of gobs of hunters. Just be prepared to hike hard in sand.

Thanks! I have noticed that a lot of areas are closed to mule deer but that's ok. We are in whitetail mode. I figure if you hike for miles and shoot something your only option is to pack out? This will be a first for us hunting an area that large. Is there a better area you may recommend for a first timer?

Last edited:
Ne 4 nr

I LIVE IN IOWA AND I HAVE HUNTED THE NE NAT FOREST. IT IS A GOOD PLACE TO HUNT. YOU CAN USE THE CHEAP LICENCE. WE GOT OURS IN NORTH PLATTE THE DAY BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED.HAVE YOU GOT THE 2014 BIG GAME GUIDE? NE,ALONG W/IA. AND OTHER STATES HAD A BIG DEER DIE OFF DUE TO THE DROUGHT IN 2013. I HUNTED NE NAT FOREST IN 2012.SAW A NICE MULE DEER BUCK THAT I MISSED. THE FRENCHMAN UNIT HAS A HARD DRAW FOR A TAG-I HAVE NEVER HUNTED THERE. IF YOU WANT A WT&NOT A MULE DEER I WOULD GO WHERE THERE ARE MORE DEER AND THAT IS EASTERN NE-NOT WESTERN NE.HARlan county has 126 bucks harvested per 100 sq miles,only 4 were mule deer and harlan county is just north of ks. in the middle of the state.see page 32 of regs.there are a lot of hunters in ne nat forest but only if you are driving.when walking w only saw afew people.its hilly but not as verticle as co is and a lot less hunters...good luck

Thanks! I have noticed that a lot of areas are closed to mule deer but that's ok. We are in whitetail mode. I figure if you hike for miles and shoot something your only option is to pack out? This will be a first for us hunting an area that large. Is there a better area you may recommend for a first timer?

Nebraska finally changed the law a couple years ago, so that now, you can quarter and pack out a deer. You used to have to check the whole deer in, which was a pain. Just make sure to leave evidence of sex attached and also take the head.

I have never hunted there during the center fire season, but back packing is the only way that I would do it.

I don't know how badly the disease hit that area, but much of the sand hills area was nearly wiped out of both mulies and white tails. The Nebraska National Forest areas usually produce some great white tails.

SITKA Pre Season Savings

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pwilliams90
Back