Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Neat find today

Addicting

My wife forgot her lunch today so being a good husband I took it to her. On the way I saw this little guy on the side of the road. I stopped and he was in perfect shape. I have only ever seen one alive in my life. I thought he would make a good addition to my reloading room. Going to have him mounted on some drift wood with a small rainbow trout as his dinner.

6034758B-002F-4F70-A0F2-7448CFF9CD9A.jpeg

This spring I was driving down a gravel road and in the distance ahead I could see a bird going up about 2 feet high and diving back down. As I got closer I realized it was a red wing blackbird and it was diving down on another redwinged blackbird. Getting even closer as the bird on the ground moved into the ditch I saw it was a weasel with a red winged black bird in its mouth and the other (maybe its mate) was attacking the weasel trying to get it to let it free.

It will be interesting to see how it looks after skinning. Road kills can look good, but have a lot of bruising which leads to hair pulling out in tanning. Your taxidermist should be able to give you an assessment when they skin it.

My wife forgot her lunch today so being a good husband I took it to her. On the way I saw this little guy on the side of the road. I stopped and he was in perfect shape. I have only ever seen one alive in my life. I thought he would make a good addition to my reloading room. Going to have him mounted on some drift wood with a small rainbow trout as his dinner.

View attachment 118878
A mouse as prey subject would be better. I think it would be rare to find a weasel fishing. That's an otter's domain.

Nope same critter.
I see. That first photo was kinda red coloured fur. Guess it was the way the light was hitting him? Quite rare I think to find mink with that white patch under the chin. And there was nothing on the tailgate to give perspective for size or that surely would have been an indicator it was not a weasle.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back