Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

ND Deer Results

0 for 4 at our house. Lots of points (10, 9, and 8 - myself, my wife, my son) but as NRs it does not matter much.

Good luck to everyone!

Nothing for me and my wife. But that's not Suprise because we go in as a group application to purposely not draw. Might actually try to draw in a few years.

0 for 4 at our house. Lots of points (10, 9, and 8 - myself, my wife, my son) but as NRs it does not matter much.

Good luck to everyone!
Couple friends have 12 and 14 points and didn't draw. From the sounds of it, probaley a good year not to draw.

Brother in law drew 4d mule deer so I’ll be spending some time in that area this year
That's where I put in but had 0 points. Just a throw away year for me after the awful winter. Let me know how he does!

Been seeing a good number of deer and a great fawn crop so far. I drew a doe tag that will go unfilled unless i need some sausage. To many other tags to fill out west.

I love hunting ND especially the badlands. Sitting down and looking at the draw odds really had me demoralized. At 32 years old in a month i stand to "hopefully" draw 3 more mule deer tags, 1 muzzleloader and 1 or 2 antelope tags "that's with 9 current goat points" before im 50. I am probably too old for a lot of units but i need to start going elsewhere to hunt.

Some folks get lucky every year in the draw for the muley tags. With the bonus point system instead of the preference point system we always have a chance, albeit a slim one to draw a muley tag.

I love hunting ND especially the badlands. Sitting down and looking at the draw odds really had me demoralized. At 32 years old in a month i stand to "hopefully" draw 3 more mule deer tags, 1 muzzleloader and 1 or 2 antelope tags "that's with 9 current goat points" before im 50. I am probably too old for a lot of units but i need to start going elsewhere to hunt.
Been that way for a long time. Badlands tags are 6-10 year waits, habitat can only hold so many mule deer in this state.

Been that way for a long time. Badlands tags are 6-10 year waits, habitat can only hold so many mule deer in this state.
after looking at the antelope numbers and 60% of what little tags we got go to land owners i was doing the numbers and they were not fun to see the answers haha. Too many flakey friends never want to commit to western hunting.

The commitment from friends seems to get more difficult as time passes. Been hunting solo for awhile now and glad i choose to do so. I like to have "my" schedule to go on.

Last edited:
Too many flakey friends never want to commit to western hunting.
I've had a buddy ghost the day before we were supposed to leave for a week long hunt. I've had buddies commit to tags years in advance, they'd buy points leading up to applying with all intentions to apply as a party with me ..... Then they bail when it's time to actually apply.

So, I've mostly given up trying to hunt other states with buddies. If they get a tag and it works out, great. But for the most part I apply solo or with my dad.

I'm in the same boat. I met up with a guy from longrangehunting out in Montana 5 years ago and had a great hunt, and briefly met up with a guy from this site in Colorado last year but other than that I've been solo for the last decade. It is much easier. I don't have to coordinate with anyone else and I can hunt the way I want and move to a new area when I want.
I enjoy meeting people, but I prefer to make the trip on my own. That way, if the meet and greet doesn't pan out, no big deal. Only so many falls left to hunt the mountain states. I'm darn sure not going to ruin one by somebody backing out from long term plans at the last minute.

Back