ND Badlands turkey hunt

Bwana

Thanks to the hospitality of a very nice couple, my boys and I were able to hunt on their ranch in the beautiful ND badlands just a short distance from the site of Teddy Roosevelt's old Elkhorn Ranch on the Little Missouri River. It was an early morning considering we had a 3 hour drive to get there but the kids got a nap in on the way and I TRIED to stay awake too but had to stop once to get a little fresh air.

We saw some absolutely awesome country, and got to see a fair amount of game too, including: mule deer, whitetail, turkeys, a rooster pheasant that came home with us ;), a grouse, some antelope, and a couple of porcupines. The boys seemed to enjoy the country as much as I did and really liked eating our breakfast sitting on the endgate of the pickup while surrounded by such beautiful scenery.

Even managed to bag a couple of turkeys in between the snack times and letting the boys shoot their BB guns. Here is the first one which made the mistake of flying over us. Had to call on my back-up team to finish it off for me since it was still wiggling a bit which made them both pretty happy.
1328.jpg

All of us back at the ranch:
1331.jpg

This is the second bird we got which came JUST as we were going to head for home. Looked like only one tag was going to get filled until this critter and some of his friends popped up out of the creek bed which is behind us in the picture. The white on his tailfeathers is why I wanted to hunt birds out there, they are simply beautiful.

With my oldest boy:
1329.jpg

With the youngest boy who turned 7 the day before:
1330.jpg

Bwana,
Looks to me like you ought get hooked up with the rancher for a spring hunt.
It's so much more entertaining chasing them around with green grass and them gobbling!
WD

Good birds and pics. Looks like all three boys had a grand time. Now if you can chase deer on the same ranch you will have it made. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back