nature conservancy question

mixedbag

I have a nature conservancy right across the street from my home.When the man who donated the land died, it was for archery hunting only.Now, some animal lovers in my neighborhood have changed that to no hunting.Seems odd that they could change a dead mans wishes as he was a hunter himself.Was wondering how I could go about getting archery hunting back on this property,or is it a lost cause now??They just changed the rules this year after years of hunting allowed.I wasn't even aware of the change till bear season and a cop stopped to tell me;knowing my group hunts it.You guys are a lot smarter on these issues then I am;thats why I'm asking here

It depends how the Deed or the land purchase was set up, but if the donor specifies hunting/fishing is allowed then it is. What state are you in? Typically the Nature Conservancy wont just shut down hunting on a piece of property, depending on the land manager in the area. The neighbors should have no say to what goes on with the land.

I would contact the area office and talk to them.

If it is the same nature conservancy that I am aware of that owns land around here where I live in Ohio, I'm not sure there is anything to be done, unfortunately. It really isn't public land and it is up the conservancy as to what activities they allow. Fortunately, there are about 2600 acres that they allow hunting on by permit here in Adams county, so I know that they do allow hunting in certain areas. It never hurts to talk to the people that are administering the land though. They may open over time. Let your thoughts be known to the right people though. Dad and I are petitioning heavily to get more land opened up here in the county with our contacts with the conservancy. Eventually, it might work. They love the animals, but they tend to come around when they start causing damage to trees, plants and other animals that they think are more endangered than the deer.

Here is their website for the preserve in our area

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiative...s/ohio/edge-of-appalachia-preserve-system.xml

The Eulett center is about 3 miles from my dad's house. Good luck in you endeavers!
Derek

Last edited:
You would really need to go to your local unit of government and look up (or have them do so) the deed which transferred ownership to the land conservancy to check and see if there were any use restrictions or mandates associated with the conveyance. There may also be a conservation easement document related to this which may either be publicly recorded or on file at the land conservancy. Since land trusts/conservancies typically have 501(c)3 IRS tax designation any management or use restriction which is contrary to the stated desires to the donor is potentially a major issue for them. If all else fails, I would open a discussion with the land conservancy staff, or Board, to see what their policy was based on and encourage further discussion.

Another issue that we, as sportsmen, should be raising is the issue of habitat management on conservancy lands. Too many are stopping all timber stand management in favor of Old Growth which is a de facto way of impacting the availability of game species. Again, if the donor had a management preference, that's fine. If, however, these decisions are being made solely by a staff and board of directors, then we should be engaging in these discussions. Frankly, they should be supporting a land management strategy which supports a the full range of wildlife species.

On behalf of all of us who support land protection but oppose the loss of hunting opportunities, thanks for raising this issue.

I have a nature conservancy right across the street from my home.When the man who donated the land died, it was for archery hunting only.Now, some animal lovers in my neighborhood have changed that to no hunting.Seems odd that they could change a dead mans wishes as he was a hunter himself.Was wondering how I could go about getting archery hunting back on this property,or is it a lost cause now??They just changed the rules this year after years of hunting allowed.I wasn't even aware of the change till bear season and a cop stopped to tell me;knowing my group hunts it.You guys are a lot smarter on these issues then I am;thats why I'm asking here

PM me with the property address and I can look into the details of the conservation easement, if you would like help. I am getting conservation easement research down to a fine art these days. I have posted a number of times, over the years, my concerns with certain conservation easement organizations, that there was a marginalizing of hunters taking place.

we were in talks with a nature conservancy a few years back to buy the timber on a property and leave it standing. The deal eventually fell through but the nature conservancy was going to require hunting to take place on the property. Every agreement is different and somewhere, either the deed or easement, the fine print will describe the property use.

I can't find any official name for it.If you type in Nature conservancy in Carbon County Pa it will be the only one to pop up.Like I said, it actually allowed hunting 2 years ago,and I was personally told that by a state cop.Now, another cop told me that's been changed and its no hunting.I would like to try and get it reopened to archery hunting again.You would be a huge help to me katqanna in letting me know how to go about it with these people.I know one of them is my neighbor down the road who runs a animal rescue and totally against hunting

I can't find any official name for it.If you type in Nature conservancy in Carbon County Pa it will be the only one to pop up.Like I said, it actually allowed hunting 2 years ago,and I was personally told that by a state cop.Now, another cop told me that's been changed and its no hunting.I would like to try and get it reopened to archery hunting again.You would be a huge help to me katqanna in letting me know how to go about it with these people.I know one of them is my neighbor down the road who runs a animal rescue and totally against hunting

On one registry site there is only 1 Nature Conservancy conservation easement In Carbon County, PA. It was created in 2011, 13799.0 acres.
Is this the area you are referring to?
df5wSfa.png

I believe the Pine Butte Swamp preserve on the Front Range here in MT is owned by NC and they do allow hunting with reservations.

No that's not the one I'm talking about.Try nature conservancy in Jim Thorpe,pa.Theres very little imfo that I can find on line about it.The one you have posted is an open hunting area

Is it the John & Marry Wargo Preserve in Penn Forest Township, near Bear Creek Lake and north of Route 903?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back