National Wildlife Federation?

Adam in Ohio

I recently found out the National Wildlife Federation has a program set up that you can have your yard/land designated as "Certified Wildlife Habitat" by filling out a checklist of numerous parameters like nesting cover, water and food availability, etc. It seemed like a fun way to get my kids looking at habitat right outside our house and not as something that is important only in further away places. My question is if NWF is antihunting? I've done a little research and haven't been able to determine for sure. I will probably still use the checklist for educational purposes, but don't want to send a check if their views are that opposed to mine. Thanks!

Excellent conservation org, influential and effective. From their Mission Statement, where hunters are the 1st group listed:

Uniting all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in a rapidly changing world

We believe America’s experience with cherished landscapes and wildlife has helped define and shape our national character and identity for generations. Protecting these natural resources is a cause that has long united Americans from all walks of life and political stripes. To hunters, anglers, hikers, birders, wildlife watchers, boaters, climbers, campers, cyclists, gardeners, farmers, forest stewards, and other outdoor enthusiasts, this conservation ethic represents a sacred duty and obligation to protect and build upon our conservation heritage for the sake of wildlife, ourselves, our neighbors, and—most of all—for future generations.

There are better conservation orgs to invest in, IMO. Unless you want to put money into DEI programs.

Thanks for the input everyone! I appreciate it. I thought the wildlife habitat certification program would be a fun way to get my kids thinking more about the natural world right around us and I think we will proceed (I'll post some pictures as we go). I hate to admit it, but I guess I'm getting (more) cynical and wanted to make sure I wasn't sending money, however small an amount, to a group that works against hunting. Also, this would not be money taken away from other conservation groups I support.

There are better conservation orgs to invest in, IMO. Unless you want to put money into DEI programs.
'Don't know a thing about DEI in Kentucky to which you are referring, but in Montana it's diversity and conservation of wildlife and habitat, with strong support of the legacy and role of hunting. Montana Wildlife Federation is worthy of Montana hunters' support and gets some of my money.

Last edited:
DEI = ??? BTW, after thirty-some years in the military, I am weary of ambiguous acronyms, abbreviations, and uncertain meanings. with the tendency to change almost weekly, so prefer spelled-out clearly described terminology.

Yea they are a good conservation org and certainly not anti-hunting. They aren't the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, but they are solid IMO. They do go down the DEI rabbit hole a little bit, but it doesn't mean anything across the board so it doesn't bother me too much.

"Diversity, Equity & Inclusion"

It's the new fancy phrase for what your mom used to call "be nice to people "

NWF is not anti-hunting and they have a seat at the American Wildlife Conservation Partnership.

They are a wildlife conservation group first & foremost. Their membership is made up of various affiliated state level groups like Montana Wildlife Federation, Michigan United Conservation Clubs, etc. There is always a push & pull between the national group & their state groups. They started in 1936 at the first North American Wildlife Conference as local & state groups found they needed a stronger national voice.

I don't always agree with them, but by and large, they do good work.

I’m on the board for Idaho Wildlife Federation which is affiliated with NWF. We are not anti ranching. We support trapping, wolf hunting and other outdoor activities. Idaho sportsmen would have less of a voice in the Idaho Legislature if IWF’s director wasn’t there representing sportsmen and sportswomen.

The only issue that some might not agree with is support to remove the four lower Snake River dams.

I work closely with NWF on compensated grazing permit waivers (buyouts) to protect wild sheep. Willing buyer, willing seller. The vast majority of buyouts across the West, regardless of who takes the credit (me included), were negotiated and consummated by NWF. They are not anti-hunting, and I would be interested to hear anti-rancher perspectives. I don't know the national organization to take that stance. Would make their wildlife conflict resolution program less successful.

I work closely with NWF on compensated grazing permit waivers (buyouts) to protect wild sheep. Willing buyer, willing seller. The vast majority of buyouts across the West, regardless of who takes the credit (me included), were negotiated and consummated by NWF. They are not anti-hunting, and I would be interested to hear anti-rancher perspectives. I don't know the national organization to take that stance. Would make their wildlife conflict resolution program less successful.

Hank's not happy with the NMWF over the E-plus system.

NWF was a leader on wolf reintroduction and they've been made a few missteps in the past like supporting listing of prairie dogs in WY, etc. Many in the landowner community don't like them, but they're the ones who haven't worked with them.

Reactions: Oak
IWF is the leading organization in Idaho opposing the Wilk Brothers games. It’s gotten Wilk Brothers gates opened on Forest Service roads a few times.

I’ve never heard of DEI until this thread. We’ve never discussed anything like it in meetings.

IWF is the leading organization in Idaho opposing the Wilk Brothers games. It’s gotten Wilk Brothers gates opened on Forest Service roads a few times.

I’ve never heard of DEI until this thread. We’ve never discussed anything like it in meetings.

IWF's legislative work is damned amazing too. Such a great crew.

Back